hey did anyone hear

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trix
GLONO Board Playa

Postby trix » Tue May 21, 2002 11:53 am

hey did anyone hear that guy jack black's new band? i can't remember the name of the band but it's feckin class!

i was very impressed by it....

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue May 21, 2002 2:26 pm

Do you mean Tenacious D???

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue May 21, 2002 3:12 pm

What in the hell does "feckin class" mean? (And what would it mean if this dumb white American guy said it?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jeffsab on 2002-05-21 15:13 ]</font>

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue May 21, 2002 3:50 pm

i'm sure it's in the same vein as if someone from boston said "wicked bad".

are we so vanilla in the midwest that we don't have any unique expressions?

none are jumping into my thoughts right now.

can anyone think of any?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vitas on 2002-05-21 15:53 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue May 21, 2002 4:51 pm

Well, you'll notice Trix is from Ireland. Feckin' class is a cool expression. I dig it.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue May 21, 2002 5:22 pm

Regional vernacular aside, Tenacious D is really great. Their self-titled debut album (their first actual release despite being around on HBO for quite some time) is both musically impressive and hilarious.

"Oh my God, I did it - I've done it. I fucking did it: the most powerful tool in singing technology since yodeling, dude - oh my God - inward singing!"
-Jack Black

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Tue May 21, 2002 6:54 pm

now, don't get me wrong here, i dig the album and all... it's just, how many times can you listen to a comedy album? sure, the songs are catchy, great pop metal structures, fine musicians on it (steve mcdonald, page mcconnell, and dave grohl, but i just can't find myself going back to it as much as i would a more conventional rock album.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue May 21, 2002 8:41 pm

I know what you mean, vit, and I don't listen to the whole thing a lot, but there are a few, like "Wonderboy" and "Tribute" which are genuinely whoopass songs. I listen to them often. "Fuck Her Gently" is another matter.

Their songs are still better than the damnable Adam Sandler.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joshua on 2002-05-21 20:44 ]</font>

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed May 22, 2002 9:48 am

i agree with you that it's at the top of it's genre. as far as comedy rock albums go, it's probably the best since bruce mccullough's "shame-based man" and has a similarly equal hip cache of crispin glover's "the big problem?" (which is worth owning simply for the song "clowny, clown, clown").

adam sandler is a one trick pony all around. and rarely can anything he does truly be considered all that original or funny, albeit still somewhat entertaining in a hollywood squares kind of way. still, i do get a chuckle out of the song "steve polychronopolous" every now and again. in the same way i crack a smile whenever i see a playground bully beat the crap out of a bookish pointdexter burdened with leg braces. ah, sweet, sweet playground justice.

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Wed May 22, 2002 11:39 am

That's sick, sick, sick...
About regional vernacular, I recently had this conversation, and it seems like there really isn't an equivalent of "wicked" in the midwest, we just fuckin', like that's fuckin' cool, that's a fuckin' good song... which I like a lot better anyway...I can't believe I said we, I'm NOT a midwesterner...we don't say "wicked" in the southeast either, don't know what we say...

Return to “Rants and Raves”