hey did anyone hear

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed May 22, 2002 11:57 am

i'm suh y'all have'n idea what y'all sound like down there, mmm hhhmmmm.

i'm fascinated by the fact that as we become inundated by a common media throughout the u.s. we are losing are local vernacular. and only in places where it's been traditionally the strongest (boston, ny, the south, texas) is it still a part of the local character, though it is fading fast. everywhere you turn the dj, newscaster, commercial spokesperson, they all sound like midwesterners. proper and without character. vanilla all the way.

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed May 22, 2002 12:55 pm

why do they raise up the midwestern accent as the standard for all newscasters? and why don't they use swear words? and who are "they"???

helen
GLONO Board Playa

Postby helen » Wed May 22, 2002 1:13 pm

good southern accent, vit...but local vernacular hasn't stuck in the south either, at least in large cities like Atlanta, Birmingham, Charlotte. I don't have much of an accent, which always surprises people when I say I grew up in Ga, but when you live in a large city anywhere, the vernacular and the accent is really dilluted. And despite what "y'all" think, there IS a midwestern accent!

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed May 22, 2002 4:22 pm

These are the Daves I know I know. These are the Daves I know.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed May 22, 2002 4:50 pm

Dave? I know Dave and that's definately Dave. I KNOW Dave!

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed May 22, 2002 6:56 pm

actually helen, i suppose as outsiders we both have looked at our adopted areas as having distinct dialects while dismissing our own backgrounds as not having so much of an accent as we imagine. i spent some time down and atlanta, and the people that were local did have accents. more so people that grew up outside of the city, but the point it they did. so much so that when i moved back to the midwest i unconsciously said things like "y'all" and "i right appreciate that". i didn't even know i was doing it, i had it pointed out to me.

and yes, the midwest has an accent. i touched upon it in a round about way by saying that more regions are moving towards it as an ideal, because it's so plain/vanilla. our accent is a lack of exaggerated colloquialisms. sure, there are certain inflections that separate people from ohio, michigan, and illinois, but it's not as predominant as the same inflections that separate these same people from those in georgia or massachusets.

as i said before, regional dialect in the u.s. is fading fast, even where it has been stronger in the past... including atlanta.

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 12:19 pm

here's a link to an article about a spusefic medwustern aaaccent - the dread mudwestern vaawuhl sheft, as spoken en southeastern meshegun.
it's from the michigan state university alumni paper. it's a pretty hefty pdf file, so be careful if your connection is slow. the article is on page 10 of 36. unjoye!

http://www.cal.msu.edu/MUSES/MUSESFall2000.pdf

Postby Guest » Thu May 23, 2002 1:13 pm

i'm sorry, i guess the standard is set from people that come from ohio and not michigan. foolish me.

that lady talks to one half-bred twit bagging groceries at a meijers and takes a stand like that? amazing.

look, all over the country... white trash is white trash. and the less educated and individual is, they will be prone to poor speech more often.

yes, i am generalizing. yes, i am stereotyping. yes, i am quick to criticize. i know this and i take no shame in it.

but then again, what do i know? i'm just poor white trash from southeastern michigan.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu May 23, 2002 2:34 pm

Is your name Bob Richey?

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Thu May 23, 2002 4:25 pm

no, it's be, the other poor white trash meat, vitas!

Return to “Rants and Raves”