hey did anyone hear

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

W. Genter

Postby W. Genter » Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:42 pm

Dave??? You know Dave??? That's DEFINITELY DAVE!! Phil, how quickly you forget the uniquely coined Mid-western vernacular. And I'm interested... Have you incorporated "feckin' class" into your repertoire? Methinks the Irish poster just misspelled fuckin'... The irish use fuckin' 10 times more than we do, elevated to a near art form. For your review I submit the following that should be promulgated throughout the land, and used by milktoast newscasters to spread our W. Michigan ideology... "Boooonalia!"; "Pinner"; "Pin-wah"... ah, this list goes on. All hail Dubs.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jun 13, 2002 2:21 pm

I think the spelling of fucking as "feckin'" was meant to illustrate the accent. It's like when you read Train Spotting and girls are referred to as "gels." That's with a hard "g" sound by the way.

Thanks for posting B-O-B-O-B-I-L...

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:36 am

I've seen "feckin'" spelled out before. I think you're right to assume it's a spelling of "fuckin'" that's intended to convey a brogue. Or maybe it's an alternate spelling like "arse" for "ass."

Re. midwestern vernacular, I can't say much since I'm California born and bred, but I read an interview with Iggy Pop, and the interviewer asked him about the line "I guess I had it in the ear before," which Mr. Pop described as a midwestern way of saying "I got screwed on that." The interviewer told him he thought it meant that Iggy had actually had someone's dick in his ear, to which Iggy replied, "My dear boy, I want the readers of Details to know that I've never had a fuckin' weenie in my ear.".... or words to that effect.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Jun 14, 2002 1:37 am

More to the point, Tenacious D's HBO show was feckin' hilarious! That and "Mr. Show" have got to be two of the funniest things ever produced for television... along with "Sealab 2021."

Return to “Rants and Raves”