Is music political?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Wed May 22, 2002 12:48 pm

Anyone ever heard the Leonard Cohen song that goes, "There's a war between those who say there's a war and those who say there isn't?"

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed May 22, 2002 2:12 pm

Everything's political. Shampoo can be political. Jogging can be political. Clothes are political.

Even trash bags are political - I remember some years back in England there was a far-left outcry over the use of black dustbin liners because it promoted 'racism'.

There's been plenty of political bands and singers over the years, but I think the best political music isn't even political - it subverts thru honesty. It doesn't make an overt political statement. It can touch you or inspire you simply by telling you the truth.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Wed May 22, 2002 2:16 pm

Actually, not everything is political. Only one thing is political and that's money. But in our capitalistic system, that seems to affect everything...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed May 22, 2002 2:31 pm

On 2002-05-22 14:16, jeffsab wrote:
Actually, not everything is political. Only one thing is political and that's money. But in our capitalistic system, that seems to affect everything...

True, but what I meant was, everything can be used for political purposes. All it takes is a group with a voice and/or a lot of cash. The shrewd and crafty can take something neutral as an orange and make politics out of it.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Wed May 22, 2002 7:02 pm

it's not even that money is political. money is just he measure of effort and reward from said effort. the crusades weren't directly about money... it was about power and influence. riches and land were just the reward. so, even religion was co-opted by greed. music, literature, sex, basketball... all are driven by greed.

i never heard anyone call michael jordan a sellout... and that man really raked in the dough during his career and past it. he took basketball to a whole other level. he brought more fans in to the stands then anyone else in the history of the sport. hell, they even had to make a bigger stadium for him to play in here in chicago. and still no one called him a sell out. instead, he's a role model.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu May 23, 2002 10:35 am

I've heard Jordan get plenty of criticism for the $30 million he got in each of his last two seasons with the Bulls (as a free agent).

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Thu May 23, 2002 10:58 am

from who... the media or the fans. and which fans? in chicago... i never heard a peep of discourse from anyone who followed the bulls.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu May 23, 2002 11:00 am

Not to mention the criticism Jordan has received for indirectly ruining the NBA. Before Jordan, the NBA marketed the teams in its team sport. Since they've become a league of individual superstars (a la Jordan), everything has suffered.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu May 23, 2002 11:01 am

Man, I sure did. Don't get me wrong, it was always tempered with "But he took a pay cut to get Tony..."

This isn't becoming a sports site, is it?

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu May 23, 2002 11:11 am

Did anyone see the Wings game last night?

Return to “Rants and Raves”