Is music political?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 18, 2002 7:50 am

I think "How could you run when you know? [that your own government is trying to kill you]?" is a pretty fucking potent starting off point for political discourse. That combined with the impact of an idea like "We're finally on our own" makes Ohio much more than a song that's just stating the obvious.

Too bad the fucking Boomers sold us out and became just as bad if not worse than the Nixon administration.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:02 pm

I still think of brilliant music (or art, books, films, etc) as transcending politics simply by being truthful and discounting the status quo. Take Devo - they weren't overtly political, but the picture they painted of American consumer society was so twisted and disturbing it became political criticism.

Same thing with Diane Arbus - her photos weren't political, but the images of everyday people as scary monsters made a potent political statement. Art doesn't have to be propaganda to be political.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Tue Jun 18, 2002 1:28 pm

I think Shecky's been playing too much Medal of Honor: Frontline. It looks like he's got a twitchy trigger finger or something. :)

Oh, and good point, btw - Devo is an excellent example.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Joshua on 2002-06-18 13:30 ]</font>

Return to “Rants and Raves”