Stones Protest

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu May 23, 2002 10:48 am

Okay, bear with me on this one.

A friend of mine is absolutely outraged by her inability to purchase Stones tickets through Ticketmaster. She was looking to score some for their show at the Wiltern in LA, a small-venue gig similar to the Aragon show in Chicago. Despite her efforts to purchase over the Internet with our T1 line here at work, she didn't get the tix, just as I and every sane person in our office predicted.

But given the ridiculous prices being paid for Wiltern tickets (
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1351961927 ), our conversation about this matter soon turned to organizing some sort of protest. Delusions of a WTO-style crusade against Ticketmaster, Clear Channel (the show's promoter), and the entire music biz (which will no doubt be out in force) immediately spring to mind. Of course, if this were carried out successfully, the LA media whores would be all over the story, living and dying with the entertainment industry as they do. And it seems to me that it might not be that hard in the next few months to rally several thousand rabid and pissed-off Stones fans to take to the streets in LA.

Now before anyone goes ballistic, keep in mind that:
1. I'm not asking anyone to feel one ounce of sympathy (or empathy) for my friend or anyone else who was frozen out of getting tickets.
2. I don't personally care about this specific situation, as I am disinterested in seeing The Stones myself. My interest lies in making some sort of statement to the corporate power structures of Clear Channel and Ticketmaster.
3. I am not suggesting or promoting any act of violence. Nor am I even railing against the band themselves, merely suggesting an act of civil disobedience directed at the corporate interests.

Finally, I'm really just posting this idea to see what everyone thinks of it. I am not actively trying to organize anything. Just talking. (And to John Ashcroft: I am not a terrorist; I love America.)

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri May 24, 2002 10:29 am

I'm glad this issue seems to have struck a nerve with all the GloNo readers.

Maybe I can convince this new coalition that's been lobbying on Capitol Hill to take up the idea.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/show ... ay23.story

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 24, 2002 12:06 pm

From that article:
Clear Channel is by far the biggest of these conglomerates: It owns more than 1,200 stations (including six in Chicago, the biggest of which is WGCI-FM) and its concert division controls 135 major venues nationwide, including Tweeter Center in Tinley Park. Last year Clear Channel sold more than 27 million concert tickets, nearly nine times as many as its closest competitor.

That's just what the own outright. They have several "management" deals with other stations in large markets where they have been ordered by the court to divest. They basically sell the stations to dummy organizations and continue to run them for a "consulting" fee, i.e. the stations' profits.

Glad to see someone is looking into this though. Radio is truly a vast wasteland and now the greedheads are going after Webradio.

madness
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby madness » Fri May 24, 2002 1:22 pm

[$4900!! That's sick]

I'd love to see those companies suffer. I refuse to see another show where the only way to buy tickets is thru Ticketmaster. And as much as I want to see the Area 2 show...I refuse to patronize Tweeter Center.

Everyone I know has a Tickemaster horror story. Here's yet another:
http://www.fictionfunhouse.com/essays/freeourtix.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: madness on 2002-05-24 13:23 ]</font>

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Fri May 24, 2002 1:43 pm

Beautiful story in that link.

This issue comes up every couple months, so I reiterate my stance: No Ticketmaster events, ever, no matter who it is. Even if Riviera gets big, I ain't buying a Ticketmaster ticket to see 'em.

Free tickets are another story...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri May 24, 2002 1:50 pm

This ain't through Ticketmaster, but you can buy tickets for this Sunday's show online now: http://mtseccom3.mtsecurecommerce.com/I ... &x=41&y=16

Return to “Rants and Raves”