Built to Spill this weekend May 7-8 Chicago

This is the place for publicists and artists to let people know about their bands and websites and shows and stuff. If you're going to hype your shit, this is the place to do it.

Moderators: Jake, D. Phillips

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Built to Spill this weekend May 7-8 Chicago

Post by Barabajagal »

Pretty excited about catching these guys at the Metro. Never seen them before but I hear they bring the rock mightily.
Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Barabajagal »

And so they did. We all know Doug Martsch is the guitar guru, but where did he get his backup guy? Good gravy, three guitarists, each with their own parts...that was easily the most sonically satisfying show I've seen in years.

I've always enjoyed Built to Spill's music, but often looked at the songs as vehicles for the guitar workouts. Indeed, so they are--give or take his clever and serviceable lyrics and well-defined structures--but I was really impressed by Martsch's clarion voice, which easily cuts through a dense mix and has a lot more power than on record. He cuts an interesting figure on stage, looking like an Amish Rasputin, just absolutely in control of every note, and this lent a gravity and authority to the songs that I didn't expect. I came from the show with a greater appreciation for the dynamics of the songwriting too--the control of the songs' ebb and flow, the building of the tension and its release. There were many shades of these dynamics, many textures beyond "loud/soft," "clean/distorted," etc. These are very difficult things to do gracefully, but gracefulness abounds in their music. The other thing that impresses me about BTS is that they are able to claim this guitar rock mantle without relying on any blues/metal cliches or doing the "sloppy guitar freakout" thing lesser indie musicians go for (which I still like, but hey). To do that is another thing that is harder than it seems. Furthermore, the show simply rocked balls out. As a live show, Built to Spill is a sure thing.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

I'm going to try and see them on Wednesday night. Rock on.