Who is a "guilty pleasure" for you?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Who is a "guilty pleasure" for you?

Postby Dawg » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:18 am

Hi folks - I've lurked long enough and decided to join in.

So who is your favorite guilty pleasure? And by this I don't mean hipster approved guily pleasue (Burt Bacharach, ABBA, Motley Crue) I mean a band you like that you don't really want folks to know about.

I'm gonna come out and say Kenny Rogers and 311. I grew up with my Mom playing the "Kenny Rogers Greatest Hits" album over and over, and I didn't realize until recently how much I really like the guy's voice. It all came full circle as I bout Mom tickets to see him in Atlanta ( I live in Athens, GA) for Christmas, and I secretly hope she'll ask me to go with her.

I really can't explain 311. I bought "Music" back in 1993, and although it's the only release of theirs I own, I have enjoyed just about every single they've released.

Anyone else?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Dec 31, 2003 10:47 am

Way to out yourself on your first post, Dawg! When we can stop laughing, I'm sure we'll all post our own embarrassing secrets.

As for me, I picked up the nouveau-surf thing and never let it go. I can listen to bands like Aqua-Velvets, Sir Finks, Mermen, etc. for hours and hours. I own 3 Aqua Velvets cds, fer Chrissakes. Why?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:09 pm

I'm a sucker for this sorta thing...

Crap in my collection I really oughta be ashamed of but still sorta like, in no particular order:
Def Leppard -- Abba -- Warrant -- Night Ranger -- Survivor -- Wilco (just kidding!!) -- Baltimora (you know, that '80s one hit wonder who did "Tarzan Boy") -- Chicago -- Richard Marx -- Offspring's "ixnay" CD -- Styx -- the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

That's all I can think of, or am willing to admit at this point. The rest of the lousy CDs in my collection belong to my wife!!!!!

Hippie 1: "Hey, man, is that Freedom Rock, man?"
Hippie 2: "Yeah, man!!"
Hippie 1: "Well, turn it up, man!!!"

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:18 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I'm a sucker for this sorta thing...

Crap in my collection I really oughta be ashamed of but still sorta like, in no particular order:
Def Leppard -- Abba -- Warrant -- Night Ranger -- Survivor -- Wilco (just kidding!!) -- Baltimora (you know, that '80s one hit wonder who did "Tarzan Boy") -- Chicago -- Richard Marx -- Offspring's "ixnay" CD -- Styx -- the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack

OK, Dawg, you have nothing to ashamed about anymore.

But DJM, I'm worried about you...Styx? Night Ranger!!?? I'm keeping my eye on you, boy.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:39 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:But DJM, I'm worried about you...Styx? Night Ranger!!?? I'm keeping my eye on you, boy.

[shrug] Who can say? We don't always have control over what we do and don't like. At least I'm man (fool?) enough to admit them. The Styx is just sorta a leftover from the days when I was 13 and in my classic rock phase, and the Night Ranger is 'cause I'm a child of the '80s and that one of my best friends is still into them big time. I mean, don't get me wrong; I don't actively listen to these guys every day. But I still get a kick out of 'em every once in a great while.

Besides, there are worse crimes perpetrated against music than those two. Rick Springfield, Jack Wagner, Jimmy Buffet, Peter Frampton, and the entire stables of American Idol and Star Search are some that come to mind, and I don't like any of those, rest assured...

mike

my guilty pleasures

Postby mike » Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:54 pm

for me these are the guilty pleasures i like : hanson, jewel, dave matthews, john mayer, sugar ray, collective soul, and the tomb radier soundtracks to name a few.

DrinkinOxygen
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby DrinkinOxygen » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:31 pm

DJMurph, I hear you, my friend.

Let me just say that, well, I'm of the mind that once you like something, no matter how long ago it was (at least for me) if it was influential to you, or meant something to you at the time, then you never really, truly, stop liking it.

I got into music at a very young age. I got my first cassette deck when I was in second grade, and I am certain that one of the first tapes I bought was Poison's Look What The Cat Dragged In (it was either that or Chipmunk Christmas, or maybe both). Anyway, I was really, really into hair metal up through about 5th or 6th grade. I'm talking the works here: Def Leppard, Warrant, Motley Crue, Skid Row, oh yeah, the list goes on and on, you name it, I probably had it (I even had some Stryper records). Now, I don't have any of those records anymore, and I don't get an urge to listen to those bands, but I still am going to admit that I like them. There's something about that feeling when you hear a song on the radio or in passing that you used to listen to all the time and it comes back to you, and you still know the words, and you gotta rock out to it. So, I guess, in a way, hair metal is my guilty pleasure. I certainly have a soft spot for it.

Also of notable mention in my guilty pleasures catagory are the following:

Billy Joel
Yes
Pearl Jam
Journey
Mr. Mister - mostly just "Kyrie" but I still have to admit it
Peter Catera - I've never heard another song by him outside of Chicago, who I also kind of like, but I can't help but love that damn Karate Kid pt. II song, as I know I've mentioned before.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:41 pm

I think I've said it on other guilty pleasures threads here, but my biggest one would have to be Phil Collins. Especially "Invisible Touch"-Genesis, and even his chesseball crap like "Against All Odds" and "True Colors."
And Tori Amos, 'cause I'm a big pussy.
I think I'll stop there, before I get banned from the board altogether.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:26 pm

DJMurphy wrote:[shrug] Besides, there are worse crimes perpetrated against music than those two. Rick Springfield, Jack Wagner, Jimmy Buffet, Peter Frampton, and the entire stables of American Idol and Star Search are some that come to mind, and I don't like any of those, rest assured...

Good point. And also, I've already admitted my love for Journey on another thread, so who am I to throw stones?

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:48 pm

I'd have to agree with Hanson, although I only know "MmmBop." So sweet and catchy. Great, now I've got it stuck in my head . . .

Also, that Milkshake song by Kelis. I know nothing about her of who it's produced by. The lyrics are totally retarded but that song is a total jam.

As of late, Bob Seger has been starting to grow on me. I don't know why and I wish it would stop. I think it's just because I recently discovered a few of his really early albums (Ramblin Man, Noah, Mongrel--all under the Bob Seger System moniker) and admitted they were good. Now his other stuff that clearly is not good doesn't get turned off when it's on the radio. Except for that totally lame Tom Cruise underpants song.

Return to “Rants and Raves”