Rival Schools

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Tue Dec 11, 2001 1:41 pm

Has anyone else heard their cd United By Fate? I picked it up, along with the hype, last night and am rapidly becoming enamoured with it.

I just checked the tour dates only to find they're closest show is happening tonight. Any of you Chi-town folk going to see them?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:23 pm

I haven't heard of them...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 12, 2001 1:39 pm

Nor have I. What are they all about?

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:37 pm

Well, the main guy is Walter Schreifels of Gorilla Biscuits and Quicksand notariety. He also produced Hot Water Music out of New York. The other three members have various punk backgrounds, as well. As Rival Schools, though, the seem to have kept the grittiness of punk but embellished the music with a lot more instrumentation and earnest lyrics.

If it didn't sound so corny, I would call it "punk for adult music lovers". If you're going to check out a track of there's, try the fast-paced "The Switch" or the more mellow "Undercovers On".

Let me know what you think.

Mr. Tronics

Proptronics

Postby Proptronics » Wed Dec 12, 2001 4:53 pm

So, I was driving and listening to the album and felt an urgent need to clarify the above statements. By "punk", I in no way was referring to some of my favorites of yesterdays gone. I was referring more to the cookie-cutter sound of today's popular "punk" releases marketed towards a teen crowd lacking much angst. Ciao.

Return to “Rants and Raves”