Kill your television - death to commercials.

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Dec 06, 2001 12:21 pm

I, too, almost shit my pants when I heard how they co-opted "Fortunate Son." Fucking evildoers.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Dec 06, 2001 4:18 pm

Yeah, that Wrangler commercial is like a nightmarish re-run of Ronald Reagan using "Born in the USA" as his campaign theme.

It seems to me that there might be some way to take legal action against the folks at Wrangler. Though I know that the song has lapsed out of being protected from unwarranted use by its copyright, there is some sort of law that governs editing of movies. That's why when you see a movie on TV it always starts with a disclaimer that the film has been edited. Perhaps Fogerty and co. could claim that substantially editing the meaning of the song as Wrangler did is subject to the same sort of protection?

Who knows, it's an idea.

Stephen Macaulay
GLONO Team Member

Postby Stephen Macaulay » Fri Dec 14, 2001 7:49 pm

Jeff--Methinks that Fogarty, having had brought suit against his former bandmates, probably doesn't want to spend too much time within the legal system.

And doesn't some baseball show (admittedly during the summer) use his "Left Field" (or whatever it is called)?

He can probably use the scratch from Wrangler or whomever else. Hell, I don't think he wants to play Harpo's.

And while sitting here next to a TV set writing, there is a commerical for the Black & Decker Gizmo electric can opener that is using "(I) Get Around" by the Beach Boys. Now that is insidious!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Dec 15, 2001 4:02 pm

It all makes me wonder when we can expect them to use 'Head Like A Hole' to sell insurance ('If you'd rather die than to give someone else control over your finances, you're ready for John Hancock").

They've already used Devo's 'Beautiful World' to sell detergent (I forget who it was). Of course, like 'Fortunate Son', they only looped part of the chorus ("It's a beautiful world we live in"), and left out the angry, refuse-nik parts...christ, it pisses one off! Boycott their products! Start terrible rumors about their companies! Wrangler helped support the el-Queda!

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Sun Dec 16, 2001 11:05 pm

Shecky - that's a Target commercial (Tide figures heavily in it) - I don't mind that one so much, except that rather than using the original track as performed by Devo, they recreated it... They didn't change it, they just re-recorded it. I don't get that.

I've also been noticing a strange return of old mascots - Snap, Crackle and Pop are back, as well as Geoffry Giraffe - both "updated" for the new century. Who's next? The Burger King? Ha!

Unbelievably, Apple has finally managed to make a commercial that I run away from... That iPod commercial just about makes me wretch. I dig the Propellerheads and all (too bad it's a bad cut-up of Take California) but the whole "hip to be square" ideal is a little old hat.

Stephen Macaulay
GLONO Team Member

Postby Stephen Macaulay » Mon Dec 17, 2001 9:42 am

Re: The Burger King

The guy who now runs B.K. was previously head of Northwest Airlines. The "Have It Your Way" slogan is not likely to be renewed. In fact, you may order a burger, pay for it, and be lucky to get it at some undefined point in the future.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Mon Dec 17, 2001 10:17 am

On 2001-12-16 22:05, Joshua wrote:
Shecky - that's a Target commercial (Tide figures heavily in it) - I don't mind that one so much, except that rather than using the original track as performed by Devo, they recreated it... They didn't change it, they just re-recorded it. I don't get that.

It still pisses me off - it inverts the whole point of the original song, like 'Fortunate Son' with the Wrangler ad. 'Beautiful World' was actually saying the exact opposite - it isn't a beauftiful, kooky world full of wonderful people shopping at Target! Grrr!

Sorry, but I'm a born-again Devo-head and this one really gets under my skin!

BTW, I'm also with you on that iPod commercial - it's like nails on a blackboard! Jeez, c'mon Apple!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 17, 2001 12:11 pm

I love how KFC has transformed Colonel Sanders into a black man. I think it's great. On this year's This American Life Poultry Slam episode, one of the acts was about this subject and it was one of the funniest things I've ever heard in my entire life. It's available in real audio format here:

Act Three. How to Do the Funky Chicken. The true story of how a multinational chicken company turned a white man into a black man. The man they did it to? An old time Kentucky Colonel who liked to dress up as a Southern plantation owner in string tie and goatee, who happened to be their own spokesman. Mark Schone reports.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jake on 2001-12-17 11:15 ]</font>

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:22 pm

Speaking of the Colonel, I have an ULTRA RARE flexi of a song KFC gave to new employees to teach them how to make Chicken Littles. Chicken Littles were these tiny chicken sandwiches on square buns, kinda like the White Castle chicken sandwich. The flexi is a Rap telling you all the rules of Littles. It's REALLY bad. Picture any white comedian from the mid-80s doing their "Rap" shtick and you get the idea.

This may end up on my next round or mixes. Watch out!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:35 pm

Phil, let's upload it as an mp3.

Return to “Rants and Raves”