Happy Birthday Elvis

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:26 pm

Blogger, the tool we use to post our front-page articles, is fucked up right now. I've been attempting to post a little Happy Birthday message for Elvis. Oh well. That's what you get for nothing.
Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:57 pm

Here is what I had been trying to post via Blogger this morning:

<b>Happy Birthday, Elvis</b>

It's the king of rock and roll's <a href="http://www.elvis.com/default.asp">birthday</a> today. He's not <a href="http://www.elvis2010.com/se-evidence.html">alive</a>, but if he was, he'd be 67. Maybe he'd be recording good music with Rick Rubin right now. More likely, he'd be in <a href="http://www.bransonshows.com/">Branson</a> covering Celine Dion songs.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jan 09, 2002 2:34 pm

It's a shame about Elvis. He was pretty cool way back in the day, but he eventually turned into a joke. His doughy white fans didn't care how crappy he became and continue to prop up his 'legend', which is sad, because now that's all we can think about when we think about Elvis - big fat Vegas Elvis dying on the crapper.

I have no doubt he'd be installed in Branson right now, having that annoying fucking redneck comedian open for him.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mixmaster Shecky on 2002-01-09 15:30 ]</font>

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:27 pm

Who knows? In order to be alive today, he would have had to have stopped taking drugs. And if he stopped taking drugs, maybe he'd get healthy and realize what a clown he had become. And at that point, maybe he would hook back up with Scotty Moore and Sam Phillips and release a great, stripped-down album of old-man rock and roll.

Still though, I really believe that the coolest Elvis of all was the 1970, just-arrived-in-Vegas Elvis. He was still thin and fit. And his hair looked great. And his voice was still amazing. I just watched the end (the concert) of "Elvis: the Way It Is" last night, and was once again struck by just how fucking cool he was.

And if anybody out there knows how to sew, I really want a white jumpsuit. Not a cheap one either, not a costume. A nice one. I'm very serious.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Jan 09, 2002 4:41 pm

That's true - As an example, Steve Earle got off the junk (even tho he's still pretty fat) and he hasn't suffered much musically.

Hey, now there's a thought - Steve Earle and Elvis Presley: Unplugged.
Man, would it have been cool to hear Steve & Elvis do a duet on 'Guitar Town'...or 'Copperhead Road'!

Of course, there's still a third path a live Elvis could have taken - he could have gone born-again Christian following his drug rehab and started appearing on the 700 Club. Gulp.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Thu Jan 10, 2002 4:16 pm

Steve Earle & Elvis unplugged might be as cool as Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson together--a good album, BTW.

I like Elvis 1971 better than any era Elvis, even Sun-era. Walk A Mile In My Shoes, baby.

Return to “Rants and Raves”