To Ipod or not to Ipod

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

To Ipod or not to Ipod

Postby Stacey K » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:09 pm

It seems like there's a new classification in the gap between the Haves and Have-Nots: owning an Ipod. I'm considering shelling out for one, but is it really worth all that money (up to $400)? I worry it'd make my painstakingly-alphabetized CDs obsolete and turn me into a recluse who spends hours loading the aforementioned discs into the little gizmo and shuns outside communication for the world inside my headphones.

Or maybe it's just really cool and worth it. Weigh in?

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby dieblucasdie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:25 pm

I'll wait until they're cheaper. There's some generic alternatives, though, if you're brave.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:26 pm

I just can't do it. I love my CDs and I love my CD covers and I love my CD booklets. I have iTunes on my Mac, but I end up using my Discman more often than not when I'm at work. If iPods start going for $150-$199 a few years down the road, I may indulge. But right now, I have few situations where I need a portable device for listening to music, as I'm in the car so much.

As a sidenote: I walked into my step daughter's room a few days ago and she had a dozen beautiful CD booklets hung up on her wall as art, cover out front. I asked her if she'd miss having those CD booklets with their appropriate CD - for the cover art, lyrics and linear info. She said she wouldn't at all. She's 13. It's strange; with iPods, the art of packaging an album (a wonderful thing, in my opinion) may be lost forever. I find it sad. I'm getting old.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:36 pm

I recall the EXACT same discussion re: CDs vs Record albums!

Not sure if any of you saw this, but CDs CAN rot. Read all the way through to ensure that this is delayed for your collection. However, it does raise the question of how to back up? and what's next? Will we be relegated to downloads without the pictures? Will this mean the music will matter more than the image? Once upon a time it was only sold as sheet music, but it wasn't democratic.

I haven't considered an iPod yet. I still rely on a crappy discman that needs replacing.
Last edited by miss carol on Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:39 pm

Um - no brainer, you'll love it.

Parting with my CD's was unthinkable - so keep 'em. I was forced to move mine into leather binders and PI put the inserts in with 'em. A pain to be sure, but I find that it's easier for me to locate and browse my collection now than when they were stacked and shelved and all over the place.

Plus, digitizing the CD's as I need to is like a fun walk down memory lane, and I got reacquainted with a lot of my old tunes.

I used to have another mp3 player, which was also great, but the iPod blows it out of the water. Roadtrips will never be the same. If you are anal about your collection, iTunes and your iPod are for you.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 6:48 pm

Stacey, I'm having the same dilemma you are. My conclusion has been to buy an Ipod...I have this unfortunate luck of having every CD I own begin to heavily skip on me sooner rather then later, and with an Ipod I can put all my CD's in and leave them healthy for prosperity.

NickL
GLONO Board Playa

Postby NickL » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:45 pm

I was in the camp of "I refuse to ever spend that much money on a music player." And then I didn't have to because I got one for Christmas last year. It's pretty awesome throwing a ton of CDs on there or just your favorite songs off certain albums. I've got well over 1,000 songs on mine and it's like a radio station that plays my best stuff. Totally understand why someone wouldn't spend that much, I still don't know if I could have brought myself to do it.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:16 pm

I didn't want an iPod until I saw the "mini" in candyfloss pink. I'm a marketer's wet dream. Very sad!

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:32 pm

I'm exactly with NickL...I refuse to spend that much when I already have a stereo/discman (plus, I have no money). But, if someone were, let's say, to GIVE me an Ipod, I would probably fall instantly and deeply in love. So, my birthday's in November...anyone?

Damn...it was worth a shot.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:40 pm

November what?

Return to “Rants and Raves”