You jerks are too young to be nostalgic for vinyl records!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

You jerks are too young to be nostalgic for vinyl records!

Post by Jake » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:12 am

This is great.

Via Largehearted Boy.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:59 am

Yeah... just to show you how music geeks get their kicks, I'm thrilled to say I finally burned off a lot of my vinyl onto my computer and onto CD. It'd been long overdue; some cool stuff from the Dollrods (not to be confused with the Demolition Dollrods), I.U.D., and the Smoothies.

Another classic cartoon...

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Sep 27, 2004 1:54 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Yeah... just to show you how music geeks get their kicks, I'm thrilled to say I finally burned off a lot of my vinyl onto my computer and onto CD. It'd been long overdue; some cool stuff from the Dollrods (not to be confused with the Demolition Dollrods), I.U.D., and the Smoothies.
Something I've been wanting to do! Pray tell, how? I need specifics ie: type of cable? type of sound card? save to what format? I've been lazy/busy, but now that I'm underemployed, I have some time (despite all my efforts).

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:24 pm

Aha!! One geek reaches out to another!!!!

Well, Radio Shack makes a really cool $5 y-adapter, which allows you to go from dual RCA jack to 1/4" (?) headphone-style jack input. This headphone jack input exists on most modern sound cards. Your turntable needs to be hooked up to a receiver which will take the lower-volume signal of a phono; this receiver's tape output then gets routed to the y-adapter. Use a wave-capturing software*, and encode the files in a 44.1 GHz** .wav format. Trim your .wav files accordingly***, and compile onto your CD. Voila!!!!

I gotta take a straw poll of others who convert vinyl-to-CD:
-- who else takes out the snap, crackle, and pop of vinyl before transferring to CD?
-- Who leaves it in?
-- Does it matter on the recording?
-- Is it heretical to even consider removing the vinyl surface noise from the songs?

* I recommend the shareware GoldWave; it has a nifty, adjustible pop/click filter.
** Anything at a higher frequency will be better than a CD can reproduce and be downsampled anyway, and any frequency lower than 44.1 will produce a sound of lesser quality than a CD.
***crackles at beginning, snippets of other songs, etc.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:34 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I gotta take a straw poll of others who convert vinyl-to-CD:
-- who else takes out the snap, crackle, and pop of vinyl before transferring to CD?
-- Who leaves it in?
-- Is it heretical to even consider removing the vinyl surface noise from the songs?
I leave it in. But that's just my personal pref. I'm not fanatical about it. I just don't mind the sound, and I'm too lazy to attempt to edit it, and it can sometimes sound really great as is.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:40 pm

I leave it in too. Microsoft has a software application that will automatically remove scatches and buzz through filters, which means you'd love any sound on the samwe wavelength. Not really a big deal but any loss in fidelity should be avoided.

As for software, Total Recorder from High Criteria is super easy to use and pretty good. It will record any signal that comes through your soundcard. I also use that MS tool but I can't recall the name of it.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:51 pm

This geek thanks you. We also realize that much of our vinyl library will not be re-released on CD, particularly indie stuff and much coveted comps. Screw those kids, I say! (creak)

ETA: I'll take a look at those links, guys, but I also have a copy of Cakewalk. I wonder if I can make it do what I want?

dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:17 pm

Yeah, I came of age after the advent of CDs, so my main draw to vinyl is finding old albums CHEAP. That and jacking everything even remotely good out my dad's vinyl collection, which he no longer watches over.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by infectiousdisease » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:29 pm

Word. I'm exactly the same as dieblucasdie, in that I'm way too young to be nostalgic for vinyl, but I still think it's very worthwhile and right cool.

...like finding a mint condition copy of Dark Side of the Moon, on vinyl, in amongst your mum's Anne Murray compilations. That's cool.

johnhl
GLONO Board Pimp

Post by johnhl » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:00 pm

DJMurphy wrote:I gotta take a straw poll of others who convert vinyl-to-CD:
-- Who leaves it in?
I leave it in. I suppose someday I might buy the actual cds, but I'm not sure I'd recognize On the Beach or Village Green without it. My wife and kids gave me a cd of Loaded for my last birthday, and I'm still getting used to the lack of scratches. They seem to appreciate it more, though.