Get well soon, Pete Libertine

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:29 am

Libertines to continue - but without Pete. "Peter 's erratic mental state worries us greatly and having him on tour would only compound his problems."

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:28 am

PETE SPEAKS OUT

And here is the Sunday Mirror article the NME is talking about: MY DRUGS HELL BY TRAGIC LIBERTINES STAR.

The British tabloids pay Pete several thousand pounds to give his "exclusive" story. Yipes.

"I'm not scared about death," Doherty tells me in his first interview since flying back from Thailand eight days ago. "I don't care if everyone says I'm going to die if I carry on taking drugs.

"I'm more terrified for others - my mum and friends who are worrying themselves over me. Sometimes I'm convinced I do want to be free from the drugs - but I don't feel a lot of people's worries justify it."

Defiantly he adds: "I know people who take more drugs than me and they're still here."

Doherty believes that it is his inner demons, rather than drugs, that could kill him. "There are three things I know a bit about in my life and that's QPR, my guitar and drugs," he says. "I know QPR are the best football team in the world, my guitar is the most beautiful thing I own and that I don't take enough drugs to kill me. It isn't drugs I need to get rid of, it's the demons that fill my head. Once I have come to terms with my demons, maybe I'll be able to get clean."

Doherty admits he was not committed enough to the programme and only went to Thailand to please his mum.

"On the third day I left and went to Bangkok. I booked into a hotel where they offered room service of heroin with my bacon and eggs. I told them I had no money but they said I could have it on tab. I notched up a £280 bill in three days. If I'd done the same amount of brown in England it would have cost me thousands."

...his continuing addiction finally forced the band to part with him again last week after his latest battle to beat his addiction failed.

"I tried to calm down when they told me with a smoke," he says. "But as I was cooking up I looked at the brown and screwed it up. There was not a drug in the world that could make me feel better. It made me feel dirty and I realised, 'This is why I can't play'. I've got to start getting clean straight away. But I can't do it in the Priory or places like that. I have to do it in the environment I live in because I am always going to be surrounded by drugs while I'm making music. I've just got to find the inner strength to control it."

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:18 pm

BABY, WHAT A SHAMBLES!
Estranged LIBERTINES star PETE DOHERTY failed to show for a solo appearance in LONDON last night (August 2).

With the rest of the band touring in the Far East, Pete, out of the band because of his drug problems, has been touring the UK alone.

The singer was due to appear at the London Camden Barfly last night. However, as the evening progressed, it became clear that something was wrong.

Via NME

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:09 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Estranged LIBERTINES star PETE DOHERTY failed to show for a solo appearance in LONDON last night (August 2).

But he's sorry.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:12 pm

Pete misses court date.

PETE DOHERTY IN COURT NO-SHOW

VIA NME

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:06 am

Another Pete no-show breaks out into riots:

WHAT A SHAMBLES!

Seven BABYSHAMBLES fans were arrested last night (September 29) after riots broke out upon news that PETE DOHERTY would not be appearing at a Scottish venue.

Fighting began at Aberdeen’s Lemon Tree when fans heard that the estranged Libertine would not be playing the scheduled gig.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:09 am

How many times do you suppose the NME is going to use the headline, "WHAT A SHAMBLES," over the next several months until Pete kills himself?

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:35 am

What a fucking shame. Here's hoping the poor fish can kick it.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:36 am

Oh yeah. You can expect to see that headline every three days.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:52 pm

Pete and Babyshambles ejected from holiday show:

NO TIME FOR HEROES!

BABYSHAMBLES were ejected from XFM’s WINTER WONDERLAND show last night (December 5) after the band turned up two hours late.

The group were due to appear as surprise guests on the night at the Hammersmith Apollo (December 5) but they arrived so late their set was cut to just two songs.

Frontman Pete Doherty appeared onstage alone with an acoustic guitar before he performed The Libertines track ‘Time For Heroes’.

Halfway through the song, he got the crowd to sing along to the words and then he pulled drummer Gemma Clarke, who was sporting a Santa hat, bassist Drew McConnell and guitarist Patrick Walden out to perform their new single ’Killamangiro’.

Their set was cut short and security staff then asked the singer and the rest of band to leave the premises.

Despite the fallout, Doherty remained fairly upbeat after hearing that their single had shot to Number Eight in the UK singles chart.

The event also featured performances from The Departure, Ash’s Tim Wheeler, The Zutons, Kasabian, Razorlight and Embrace.

Proceeds have been donated to the homeless charity Shelter.

VIA the NME

Return to “Rants and Raves”