SMiLE!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

SMiLE!

Postby Coopstar » Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:42 pm

HOLY SH*T!! Well my playlist has just been cemented for the next 2 months to say the least. Wow. I believe. Opinions?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:42 am

I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, but I downloaded a SMiLE playlist put together by people familiar with the sessions. If it's anything like that, it's a trip. I was very close to finding a way to England to see him perform it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:56 am

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:49 am

Tom4 wrote:I haven't had a chance to buy it yet, but I downloaded a SMiLE playlist put together by people familiar with the sessions. If it's anything like that, it's a trip. I was very close to finding a way to England to see him perform it.

No need -- he's in Toronto Oct 6th and NYC a week or so later at Carnagie Hall.

And unless I hit the jackpot, I'll be reading about it in the paper whilst gnashing my teeth.

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:07 am

The album is absolutely wonderful. Good packaging, too (take that you cheap CD burners).

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:09 am

miss carol wrote:

And unless I hit the jackpot, I'll be reading about it in the paper whilst gnashing my teeth.

You can hear some of it here. You just have to register on the site. The sound isn't all that great, but you can at least get to hear some of it for free.

http://www.smilethealbum.com/index.php

It really blew me away. Brian Wilson is a genius.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:59 pm

Thanks Tim. I had the good fortune to see him perform Pet Sounds live at a Corporate Beer Anti-Theatre about 4 years ago. Despite his cold, the shit venue, and crap sound, Wilson prevailed. I would love to hear him perform at Massey Hall where he's due Oct 6th. The place was originally designed with orchestral music in mind, so the sound is GORGEOUS.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:49 pm

I think it's pretty corny, myself...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:50 pm

I heard a few clips on NPR and it sounded like a Broadway show. Did I just hear some bad passages?

booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby booker » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:19 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I heard a few clips on NPR and it sounded like a Broadway show. Did I just hear some bad passages?

It's funny, a few of my friends at work had the same exact reaction to that NPR segment.

I can say this: "SMiLE" definitely spans (and, at times, invents) a subgenre of music that may sound dated and/or corny to some younger ears. It is indeed influenced by showtunes, barbershop-quartet-style harmonies, Gershwin, so on and so forth. Brian Wilson's genius lies in his ability to deliver these elements with a simplicity, beauty and whim that rock audiences can appreciate.

"Cosmic symphonies to God"? Fuck yeah.

Return to “Rants and Raves”