less than jake

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 11, 2002 8:28 pm

hey everybody listen up! less than jake has a new cd coming out feb 19th called "goodbye blue and white" and you all have to go and get it!!! less than jake totally kicks ass but if you don't know who the hell they are just go to their website http://www.lessthanjake.com and listen to some of their kick ass music!!!!

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Mon Feb 18, 2002 4:24 pm

Ack! Maybe someone who doesn't wretch at archtypical mid-90s ska-rock should take a look at this. As for me, I've already sat through more Mustard Plug than one man should rightly stand. Pass.

Remember, Jake: I've officially taken one for the board.

sab
GLONO Team Member

Postby sab » Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:57 pm

So Less Than Jake is a ska band? Figures with a name like Less Than Jake, it'd be ska. Ugh, I thought ske had died and gone to Grand Rapids.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:16 pm

Man, you guys are a bunch of old farts! LTJ puts on some great shows. Like none of you listen to bands that are less than ground breaking?

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:22 pm

No - none of the bands I listen to are anything less than grouondbreaking. And yes, I am an old fart.

Apparently. ;]

(Hey - that's a lot of two's!)

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:13 am

Scotty, you like Less Than Jake? Is this some sort of joke? I suppose you're taking a hot date to the Mustard Plug show coming up next month as well.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:10 pm

I've seen a lot of third wave SKA bands and a lot of Emo bands over the last 7 years. I've tried over and over to listen to Less Than Jake's CDs, but they just don't do it for me. Their shows are pretty cool though. They know how to get an audience going crazy and I give them a lot of credit for that. I saw them with the Blue Meanies in Chicago once and both bands blew me away. The Meanies also don't come across well on a disc, but live with a hometown crowd they're amazing.

As far as the Plug goes, those guys are some of my best friends. They've put together 11 years of independant music, which is more than I can claim! Btw. Dave is attempting to buy the Two Stans Bar and reopen it as a local pub. Colin has a new band called Moniker which really rocks. If anybody sees Moniker on a bill in Chicago, G.R., Lansing, Kzoo or Detroit you should go see them. They're fantastic!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:21 pm

Awww Scott, now you have me feeling bad for making a nasty little comment.

To back track, I've caught Mustard Plug live and it was a hell of a lot of fun. I've heard some of what Moniker is doing and Scott's not kidding, they're good.

My only experience with Less Than Jake is on disc and I thought it was pretty terrible, though. I can see a live show being fun.

The best live/worst recorded band that I've caught was the Dropkick Murphy's. I'm not sure I've ever had more fun jumping around and acting like an idiot than at their shows. On the other hand, their cd is a nightmare to put on at home or in the car.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Feb 25, 2002 1:52 pm

ditto on the Dropkicks. I have friends who really like them. But their disc's suck. I could never figure out why LTJ's cds sounded so poorly produced, especially since they had a pretty big record deal. Four years ago they had the full rock star tour bus set-up and everything. At least they're true to who they are.

Joshua
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Joshua » Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:20 pm

I used to know Dave, too - he's a super cool guy. (When you spend 2 years in the computer center at Kinko's, you eventually become chummy with practically every band around) That's cool that he's working on a pub of his own.

I just abhor ska in general, though. Now that I think of it, that's probably weird coming from a dyed-in-the-wool Oingo Boingo fan, but I stand by my biases.

Return to “Rants and Raves”