Am I Getting Old?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Am I Getting Old?

Postby jonas » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:44 pm

So I'm 41, which I don't feel is particularly old, and I'm happy to say that I'm still listening to new music and finding that I connect to it. Good news so far.

But there's this artist all my musically-inclined friends think is great, and last week I decided to buy one of his CDs. I was riffling through his discography at the store when the clerk saw my indecision and pointed to one - "that's the one," he said. Later I talked to one of my friends and he said, "yeah, that's the one."

Sooooo...I've been listening to the CD all week and today, without thinking I said to my wife "this stuff is really derivative...I don't get it. Why is it so popular? Don't people realize this is all recycled?" And she cracked up and told me that was what old fogeys say.

Old fogeys!? I'm no old fogey! I went to Wilco last year! I own the Grey Album! I might even buy an iPod!

:shake: Kids today. No respect.

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:57 pm

so who was it?

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:13 pm

yeah,...what WAS it?

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:34 am

Was it....Bright Eyes?

terrabull
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby terrabull » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:16 am

yes, you are getting old.

i get pissed off at people degrading music because i's derivative, sure, it all is! hell, the blues didn't change for a good long while, but all that old blind (insert name here) blues guitar stuff is still good!

seriously, you want good music to survive, but you put down the stuff the kids listen to which, although it may not be the most original, is still good, solid, not mainstream rock.
people: please stop pissing on the strokes, the arcade fire, bright eyes, etc. some of the best new music is coming from these directions!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:25 am

but derrivative isn't always good. look at that louis band people are touting as the next hot thing. one has to be original in some way in order to have a long lasting career. not success. success these days breeds derrivativeness. so you're saying that it's ok to sound like every other damn band on the radio? that nickelback, creed, 3 doors down, and thier ilk are ok?

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:21 am

creepy wrote:so who was it?

Ryan Adams.

And derivative isn't the same as evolutionary.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:01 am

jonas wrote:Ryan Adams.

Which album? Because his shit is all over the map. Heartbreaker is a good album though. Although even that album borrows a lot. But it borrows from stuff I like. Like Gram Parsons.

By the way, I thought for sure you were going to say Interpol.

But yeah, as I get older, I find myself having to really fight those same tendencies. I so distinctly remember older people saying how derivative the Stone Roses were when they came out. And I remember thinking, Fuck you, old man. This is now. This band is putting out albums right now. For me. This is mine. Jimi Hendrix is dead. So fuck you. So now I try keep that in mind whenever another 80s-sounding band comes along.

Oh and that's another thing I think is hilarious. I find myself saying, "I lived through the 80s. And they sucked the first time around." And I remember people saying that exact same thing back in the 90s about the 70s and disco and bellbottoms and everything. Ha.

You don't have to listen to all this shit that kids these days (I love that phrase) are listening to. But it's probably good to keep an open mind about it. Because we definitely do not want to become like the fucking Baby Boomers who think that the only music with any value was recorded between 1963 and 1970. Fuck them. Oh, and fuck Ryan Adams.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:53 am

Jake wrote:Which album? Because his shit is all over the map. Heartbreaker is a good album though. Although even that album borrows a lot. But it borrows from stuff I like. Like Gram Parsons.

It is actually Heartbreaker. I gave it 10 listens (a minimum kind of rule I try to follow before deciding) and that was enough. The review you linked to summarized things well for me:
That album surpassed all of his Whiskeytown recordings which sounded like he couldn't figure out if he wanted to be Gram Parsons, Neil Young, Uncle Tupelo or a schlocky radio-friendly balladeer, so on each track he'd choose a different style to mimic.

I'm not saying that simply sounding like someone is bad. I like the Strokes, and I love Carl Newman even if his whole last album was copped from Beatles singles. I just need an artist to add something if they're going to steal.

Jake wrote:By the way, I thought for sure you were going to say Interpol.

I did wonder if everyone would have certain bands in mind.

Jake wrote:But yeah, as I get older, I find myself having to really fight those same tendencies. I so distinctly remember older people saying how derivative the Stone Roses were when they came out. And I remember thinking, Fuck you, old man. This is now. This band is putting out albums right now. For me. This is mine. Jimi Hendrix is dead. So fuck you. So now I try keep that in mind whenever another 80s-sounding band comes along.

Good advice that I'll try to follow.

You don't have to listen to all this shit that kids these days (I love that phrase) are listening to. But it's probably good to keep an open mind about it. Because we definitely do not want to become like the fucking Baby Boomers who think that the only music with any value was recorded between 1963 and 1970.

That's what I'm scared of! I obviously wouldn't be hanging around Glono if I didn't listen to "all this shit that kids these days are listening to", but to hear the whole "I don't get it" rant out of my own mouth was startling.

Excellent and thoughtful response, thanks.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:20 pm

To go off subject here for a minute, the only thing that annoys me about many of the bands and performers that have come about in the age of Mtv-Video-Short Attention Span-type of entertainment is that the visuals seem to be more important than the MUSIC.
Look at alot of the artists that are the biggest names in music these days.
If you took away the videos (and 24 hour cable tv for that matter) and radio was the only way to hear new music, alot of the hit music of today would NOT make it.

ok. Bring on the opposing views.

Return to “Rants and Raves”