Greatest cover songs

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by amighty » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:03 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:fIREHOSE - "Slack Motherfucker" (originally by Superchunk)
They do a great version of Public Enemy's "Sophisticated Bitch" on their live album.

Also I'm assuming you've all heard of this: http://coversproject.com/
It's not always 100% correct but whatever.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:39 am

Chris G wrote:`
`

Shazam! -

Coil - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones) Gloria Jones wrote the original...

Thank you... I learn something new everyday... I'll go back and fix my post.

`
`
No! Let us all learn. What was the original post? I forget. I know Soft Cell covered it. Is that what you had, Chris?

Kudos for the Aztec Camera mention.

Beatles' covered an old pop standard "Beseme Mucho" a bootleg of which I adore. Same with their cover of "Taste of Honey". I share Paul's weakness for schmaltzy ballads.

Oh, and I heard Neko Case cover the perfectly heart wrenching Patty Page number, " You Belong to Me" live at the Bowery Ballroom two years ago. I had discreetly wipe the tears away. Hey Neko, honey, if you're reading this RECORD THAT SONG FOR ME PLEASE!

Thank you. Back to my red Spanish cabernet. Oh, sidebar: I thought about the discussion about Merlot whilst picking my after-work booze. Seems the local LCBO has an overabundance of the varietal. Hmm. Have yuppies forgone the grape in favour of something with more cache? Me, it was all about change out of a tenner, I'm afraid.

As you were...

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:12 am

:
miss carol wrote:No! Let us all learn. What was the original post? I forget. I know Soft Cell covered it. Is that what you had, Chris?
On my long list on the previous page, I had:

Coil - Tainted Love (Soft Cell)

which I went back and edited, per jonas correction. Hence:

Coil - Tainted Love (Gloria Jones)
miss carol wrote:...the discussion about Merlot...Have yuppies forgone the grape in favour of something with more cache?
I don't know what the prior "discussion" was, I was not a part of that thread, but I know that Merlot sales have plumetted since the movie, Sideways came out. Sales of Pinot Noir have taken-off.

:

Lep
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Lep » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:26 am

Winner of the Meritorious Service in Pointing Folks Toward the Inimitable Slim Harpo Award,
the Rolling Stones for "Hip Shake."

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by jonas » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:38 am

The Residents covering the Stones' "Satisfaction". Now that was a brain-spinner, no doubt about it.

Said someone somewhere...
"1976 -- Satisfaction / Loser=Weed Satisfaction is a cover of the famous song by the Rolling Stones, recorded as a three-minute distillation of the ideas behind The Third Reich 'N' Roll. It features Snakefinger on guitar and originally had backing vocals by The Pointless Sisters, but they were so bad that they were cut out of the final mix.

"In their September, 1998, article "100 Records That Set The World On Fire (While No One Was Listening)":
If there was one record that told you the 60s were over, then this was it. The Clash may have crowed, "no Rolling Stones in 1977", but their rhetoric was just gasbag posturing compared to this, a blowtorch evisceration of Jagger and Richard's song that reduces their original to a piece of marketable rebellion fluff (Wham!'s "Bad Boys" with a better riff). The Residents start from the premise that there are rather more serious things to be unsatisfied about than romance or advertising things like total mental breakdown, a condition they proceed to delineate with unbearably off-key guitars and a vocal that sounds like the most haunted, driven, raging man alive. It's excruciating, purifying and hilarious, and if inflicted on friends it usually receives two of the highest possible accolades: "Take that fucking thing off", and "They weren't being serious, were they?"
I still have that single. If only I could figure out how to burn it to an MP3....

JonathanB
GLONO Board Playa

Post by JonathanB » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:05 pm

I've always liked the English Beat's cover of "Tears of a Clown" by Smokey Robinson.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Post by hebrew hammer » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:19 pm

I found a disgusting cover of "Suddenly everything has changed" by the postal service. They completely butchered that song. I don't know why anyone wold try to cover the Flaming Lips. They're just too good. No matter how good your cover is, it will suck in comparison.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:32 pm

jonas wrote:I still have that single. If only I could figure out how to burn it to an MP3....
Try here

Chris G
Dotman

Post by Chris G » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:17 pm

'
'
jonas wrote:I still have that single. If only I could figure out how to burn it to an MP3....
I documented my solution to this problem here:

Recording MP3s from Vinyl

'
'

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by thinsafetypin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:32 am

hebrew hammer wrote:I found a disgusting cover of "Suddenly everything has changed" by the postal service. They completely butchered that song. I don't know why anyone wold try to cover the Flaming Lips. They're just too good. No matter how good your cover is, it will suck in comparison.
oh get off yr high horse. that cover's not that bad. no one is sacred when it comes to covers. if done properly, anyone can be covered well.