Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Sep 14, 2005 3:37 pm

n8 wrote:
That's what I understand. But a part of me thinks it would be cool to recieve like 10 mix CDs. The cost of making and shipping 10 CDs is maybe what - $10 tops? For $10 we would each get 10 personally made mix CDs from 10 knowledgable music lovers.

I think it all depends. Whenever I've been "assigned" a person, I tend to check their past posts for clues (innernet stalking, oh yeah), as to what they might like but not heard yet, so its more of a tailored mix.

But I could feasibly make 10 copies. It would just have to be a much more broad type of mix. And it would be extremely cool to get 10 mix CDs. So whatever, I'm down.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:35 pm

:,

Generally I don't care who I'm making the mix for. I just put a collection of whatever I want, and send it to whatever address I'm given. So far that's worked pretty well. My last two were Songs about Trains, and Girlie Garage Rock - 3 disc comp.. Both were pretty big hits. I'm thinking of doing an instrument based version next: Either Hard Rockin' Pianos, Songs with Cowbells or Punk Rock Songs with Horns. Those are three I'm playing around with right now... or I could just be real lazy and burn one of the 29 different Songs about "______" playlists I've already got on my iTunes.

:,

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Re: Mix Tape Exchange

Postby Dreamin » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:41 pm

Coordinating a mix exchange is not for the faint of heart, but it can be a lot of fun. I usually do it when I'm starting to feel a little depressed in February or March because getting a bunch of PMs creates the illusion of popularity and makes me feel useful. ;-)

n8 wrote:In order to prevent people from lagging and others from waiting, no one should send their CDs out until everyone else has confirmed that they're done with their mix and have made the CDs and everything.

This sounds great in theory. In the past, I've found that there will always be a small percentage of people who sign up with good intentions but don't follow through (for a variety of reasons). When that happens, the GloNo mix exchange fairy usually bails out the slackers or enlists the help of others to do the same.

One major advantage of coordinating the exchange (aside from the rush of power) is being able to choose the person who will create a mix for you.

Anyway, I'm in.

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Donaldson » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:02 pm

Sounds like fun. I just bought a spindle of blanks... Let me know what the next step is...
Last edited by Donaldson on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Re: Mix Tape Exchange

Postby n8 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:09 pm

Dreamin wrote:Coordinating a mix exchange is not for the faint of heart, but it can be a lot of fun. I usually do it when I'm starting to feel a little depressed in February or March because getting a bunch of PMs creates the illusion of popularity and makes me feel useful. ;-)

This sounds great in theory. In the past, I've found that there will always be a small percentage of people who sign up with good intentions but don't follow through (for a variety of reasons). When that happens, the GloNo mix exchange fairy usually bails out the slackers or enlists the help of others to do the same.

One major advantage of coordinating the exchange (aside from the rush of power) is being able to choose the person who will create a mix for you.

Anyway, I'm in.

WELL, I will coordinate it, and in order to make it easier on myself and also to earn myself nine new mix CDs, I'm leaning toward this approach:

Once we have 10 people, I'll close it off and those ten people can send their address to me - AND get to work on their mix. Once I have the list of ten addresses, and later everyone's confirmation that they're done, I'll send out the list of 10 addresses to everyone, and each person will send out a copy to everyone else.

Imagine - 9 mix CDs coming in the mail from 9 different people. I'm very excited about that.

As I mentioned before, the approximate cost to each person involved (including blank CDs, sleeves, and S+H) shouldn't be too much ($10-$15). It depends largely on where we all live.

Here are the 8 people I have so far. Please let me know if I have something wrong.
Alias
n8
jaimoe0
steve-o
redfieldp
Chris G
Dreamin
Donaldson

So two more people and this mix exchange will be all ready to go... Then the fun begins.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:13 am

Dude, you gotta draft in Murph.

SlangKing
MOJO Freak

Postby SlangKing » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:42 am

If there's room for one more, I'll take a crack at this.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:20 am

SlangKing wrote:If there's room for one more, I'll take a crack at this.

Yeah there is. You're #9.

So where's Murph?? There's one more spot!

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:07 pm

i love these mixcd-swaps, but my burner is broken so i can't take part this time

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:53 pm

Alias wrote:but I must warn everyone I'm heavily electronica/techno/dance lover, so yeah will be mostly of this genre, so let me know

That gives me an idea actually: what if this time everyone did a mix of what best reflects your own personal music tastes? Not necessarily your favorite songs, but what you find you listen to the most? Or if your actual tastes are too embarassing, you could always throw on stuff you think you should be listening to more.

Basically, if you were to make a definitive mix CD to yourself, what would be on it? I'll bet that would be make for a really diverse group of CD's.

Return to “Rants and Raves”