Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:34 pm

steve-o wrote:
That gives me an idea actually: what if this time everyone did a mix of what best reflects your own personal music tastes? Not necessarily your favorite songs, but what you find you listen to the most? Or if your actual tastes are too embarassing, you could always throw on stuff you think you should be listening to more.

Basically, if you were to make a definitive mix CD to yourself, what would be on it? I'll bet that would be make for a really diverse group of CD's.

That sounds like a good idea, but I'd rather not restrict anyone. Let your spirit/heart/music collection/sense of humor/need to impress/mood guide you. That's how you end up with the best mixes. Everyone has their own idea of what they want to do or express, and I'd rather not shoehorn those feelings into one tidy concept - especially since we're dealing with 10 different people.

I'm looking forward to hearing new bands, new songs, new sounds - and the simple beauty of a well-crafted mix tape (x9).

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Donaldson » Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:48 pm

Personally, I can't promise "new" anything, but as a friend told me, "That's the great thing about music—it may not be new, but it can still be new to you." My plan was to make something that would be good for driving around, having some beers at your favorite bar, or whatever.

And I've already started compiling tunes.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:31 pm

Donaldson wrote:Personally, I can't promise "new" anything, but as a friend told me, "That's the great thing about music—it may not be new, but it can still be new to you." My plan was to make something that would be good for driving around, having some beers at your favorite bar, or whatever.

And I've already started compiling tunes.

That's what I meant - new to me.

I hope it's not all new in the other sense (although mine probably will be :).

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:47 pm

Oops, on second thought, I'll have to sit this one out. Sorry, carry on.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:37 am

steve-o wrote:
That gives me an idea actually: what if this time everyone did a mix of what best reflects your own personal music tastes? Not necessarily your favorite songs, but what you find you listen to the most? Or if your actual tastes are too embarassing, you could always throw on stuff you think you should be listening to more.

Basically, if you were to make a definitive mix CD to yourself, what would be on it? I'll bet that would be make for a really diverse group of CD's.

I kind of already do this anyway. I mean, does anyone put on music they don't love and often listen to? Even if I set myself a strict theme, you can pretty much count on the fact that it's stuff I know and love.

Alias
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Alias » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:02 am

Dreamin wrote:Oops, on second thought, I'll have to sit this one out. Sorry, carry on.

Nooooo! Dreamin, after read the bloody thread I was sorta lookin forward to yours. oh, well life goes on...

What?! 10 CDs, are you sure, I mean I guess it would be easy and all, but I like to sorta personalizing things, I hate giving people the same thing, its like when your lazy aunt buys 20 of one thing to give as Christmas presents for the fam, where's the specialty of it all, but whatever I'm still in...just felt like being a spoilt brat at the moment

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:23 am

jaimoe0 wrote:
I kind of already do this anyway. I mean, does anyone put on music they don't love and often listen to? Even if I set myself a strict theme, you can pretty much count on the fact that it's stuff I know and love.

True, but I meant more that when I make a mix for someone, its usually done with their tastes in mind more than mine. But good point, I just had a eureka moment that fizzled out kind of quick.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 am

Well it looks like we only have 8 people, so everyone makes 7 copies.

As for the personalization issue, I hear ya, and that's definitely worked in the past, but this time let's try something different. Just pick an imaginary person or group of people and make the mix for them. I'm sure we'll all enjoy whatever you come up with. Think about the upside of doing it this way - make 1 cd, receive 7. It'll be a little peek into what we're all into, what we're liking these days, what we'd like to share - and how our creative impulses come together on a mixtape.

Now let's everyone get to work!

Also, people who are gonna be making CDs can start PMing me their address. I will compile the list, which will be sent out to everyone participating once our CDs are ready.

Happy mixtape making!

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Donaldson » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:30 am

steve-o wrote:True, but I meant more that when I make a mix for someone, its usually done with their tastes in mind more than mine.

It's sort of like that moment where Rob realizes that sometimes you have to use a Stevie Wonder song if you're making a disc for your lady friend...

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:56 pm

Alias wrote:Nooooo! Dreamin, after read the bloody thread I was sorta lookin forward to yours. oh, well life goes on...

Really? I usually just put songs about beavers, hockey, and homesick ex-pats on my mixes. Gotta find a new theme.

Return to “Rants and Raves”