Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:33 pm

Whoa, I just saw myself name-checked by the esteemed jaimoe0, which, call me a sucker, stroke my ego, and I'd be honored to be a part of this one... if it isn't too late.

Who's coordinating it again? Is it n8? If so, I'll gladly send him my 411 snail mail, etc.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:47 am

Dreamin wrote:Really? I usually just put songs about beavers, hockey, and homesick ex-pats on my mixes. Gotta find a new theme.

Denim?
Whatever you do, can I request at least one old Sloan track on there? That stuff is hard to come by stateside.

And I can personally attest to the quality of a DJ Murph mix CD. Where else could I get a CD with Steve Martin, Wesley Willis, and My Bloody Valentine all on one mix?

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:42 pm

Yo peeps. I'm still missing three people's addresses.

PM those to me so we know you're still in.

my mix is coming along ... and I look forward to hearing everyone else's

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:29 pm

steve-o wrote:Whatever you do, can I request at least one old Sloan track on there? That stuff is hard to come by stateside.

You're in luck!

From the Sloan site:

Koch Records have started to re-issue our back catalogue in the United States. August 9th saw the release of Smeared and Twice Removed. September 6th will see One Chord To Another and Navy Blues on the shelves. Between The Bridges and Pretty Together are scheduled for an early 2006 release date, as these records are newer and still floating around stock rooms.

I'm not gonna make any promises, but you might find a Sloan comp in your mailbox in a few weeks.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:47 pm

Thanks everyone, I have all your addresses. There are 9 of us.

Further down the line as you finish your mixes, PM me again to let me know. Once everyone's done that, I'll PM you back with the list of addresses.

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Donaldson » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:17 pm

steve-o wrote:Whatever you do, can I request at least one old Sloan track on there? That stuff is hard to come by stateside.

WOW, it's nice to see that other U.S. Sloan fans even exist. But I actually haven't had a problem finding their stuff... Amazon seems to be pretty well stocked.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:41 pm

Donaldson wrote:
WOW, it's nice to see that other U.S. Sloan fans even exist. But I actually haven't had a problem finding their stuff... Amazon seems to be pretty well stocked.

Well, what do you know, they just reissued Twice Removed in August. Last time I checked, copies were going for about $30 a pop. The only old Sloan CD I used to be able to find was Smeared.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:18 pm

not sure how old you are refering to, but the last time i looked at the sloan section in tower they had quite a few of their cd's. how far back are we talking?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:30 pm

grounded5am wrote:not sure how old you are refering to, but the last time i looked at the sloan section in tower they had quite a few of their cd's. how far back are we talking?

I kinda know what steve-o's talking about... I saw them in concert on the Between the Bridges tour, and at the time, with the exception of Navy Blues onward, it seemed like most of their back catalog was in a state of flux, in regards to its US release. DGC seemed to be sitting on the first two albums, The Enclave (which had released One Chord here in the states) had already gone under, and their releases were available only via Canadian import.

Koch has since remedied that situation with a full catalog reissue program.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:28 am

FYI- iTunes has a pretty respectable selection.

I was never a follower of Sloan, but as a result of this thread, I've been checking them out.

Return to “Rants and Raves”