Mix Tape Exchange

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:41 pm

i did some searching on itunes last night and their selection is spotty, even shitty at times. they don't always have the full cd and that's on recently released stuff. What the fuck? who wants a partial cd. a lot of their back cataloge is "partial albums" with 4 songs on it.

and sometimes their cd's are only sold by song, meaning you can't buy the cd as a whole. plus there prices are a tad high. i found a cd i bought a tower (that was just released on 13th) on itunes for $9.99. i got the cd for that price with tax at tower. anyway sorry to derail the thread.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:24 pm

.:

Well as long as you're factoring in tax, why don't you factor in the bus fare, train fare, cab fare, or gasoline cost to get you to the Tower Records store (and back)... or the opportunity-costs of spending the time to do so (that is, assuming your time is valuable).

Regardless, the point was, they were speaking of the lack of availability of Sloan releases. This was somewhat dispelled already by the realization that much if not all of their back catalog has been re-issued, but I thought it might be helpful to see that iTunes carries a somewhat complete selection. For those on the board who- a.) like Sloan, b.) have an iPod/iTunes c.) have had trouble finding their releases, that this information may be good news.

I'm sorry you didn't find it useful.

I felt it was also worth metioning, not having been a Sloan fan, that the thread had turned me onto the band. So, thank you to those who brought up Sloan.

Now the thread can return to "Mix Exchange" conversation... or not. Doesn't really matter.

.:
Last edited by Chris G on Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:58 pm

I gotta make a high recommendation to all to purchase Sloan's One Chord To Another, a truly great CD.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 2:02 pm

OCTA is one of my all time faves. Twice Removed is less consistent, but has moments of greatness.

"Underwhelmed" was kind of the "Smells-Like-Teen-Spirit-esque" anthem of Canadian youth in 1992/93. The video (blk & wht version) remains a guilty pleasure of mine ;) No man on the planet was hotter than Andrew Scott back in the day. Patrick and Chris weren't too shabby either.

BTW, if you're catching up on Sloan (or CanRock in general) Have Not Been The Same is a good read. There's an entire chapter devoted to the band's rise to obscurity.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:36 pm

Dreamin' wrote:There's an entire chapter devoted to the band's rise to obscurity.

Haha, that's so true. Even in Canada I can't actually say that Sloan is super well known. Which is a shame.

Navy Blues has always been my favourite Sloan disc, which seems to be going against the general grain...but OCTA is a close second.

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Donaldson » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:45 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:Even in Canada I can't actually say that Sloan is super well known. Which is a shame.

As a US resident, I actually have a couple of Canadian friends that make fun of me for liking Sloan... Which causes me to cry. Buckets.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:08 pm

Donaldson wrote:
As a US resident, I actually have a couple of Canadian friends that make fun of me for liking Sloan... Which causes me to cry. Buckets.

No matter. They probably Tragically Hip anyway.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:01 pm

How are everyone's mixes coming along? We have three done so far.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:46 am

n8 wrote:How are everyone's mixes coming along? We have three done so far.

I've got a theme nailed down, so I'll start this weekend.

Donaldson
GLONO Board Playa

Postby Donaldson » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:35 pm

n8 wrote:How are everyone's mixes coming along? We have three done so far.

The mix itself has gone through three incarnations to get it "right", now I just have to make multiple copies and mail....

Return to “Rants and Raves”