Is Star Wars The Greatest Post Modern Art Film Of All Time?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:33 pm

LionIndex wrote:
As far as I know, the Cremaster 3 that's available on video is actually only a portion of the movie. From what I've heard (I've never tested it), it's just the part filmed inside the Guggenheim, not the whole thing with the Chrysler building and whatever.

Also, the Guggenheim exhibit had a lot of stuff that wasn't in any of the films, but was just related to them. The whole Cremaster 5 apparatus on the top floor, for example. But yeah, that was a totally mindblowing exhibit, mostly because it was really hard to have any idea of what it was all about. Prior to that, a museum exhibit had never made me say "What....the....fuck?!?!?"

Yeah, the Cremaster 3 I saw was complete and it was really....really.....long. This site clocks it at 3 hours 20 minutes: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321781/ which sounds about right. Still, it was very interesting to really be engulfed in Matthew Barney's mind for that long.

The Guggenheim blew my mind too - so much crazy, crazy, shit. Not suprising considering Barney's married to Bjork, but still. I was impressed with the amount of effort that went into the installation...

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:35 pm

If that's his point, I don't think he makes it. He doesn't really get at why Star Wars' "plot"-focus is either unique or "postmodern." There are many, many movies before and after Star Wars where everything, even character, is subordinate to plot. And these devices which "call attention to the plot" that supposedly define it as "postmodern"--I think of these things as necessary traditional narrative devices, even if--like with the title scroll sequences--they winkingly hearken back to ye olde days of cinema.

But postmodern ex post facto is still legit, and he makes some interesting points (even if you can't believe people are still talking about "postmodernity").

I also don't think you can read too much into Star Wars. Sure it has its flaws. But there is a reason it was a real pop culture phenomenon, and it wasn't just the special effects.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:29 pm

One that the people tend to gloss over, is the score.
Without John Williams score, I really believe STAR WARS wouldn't have impacted our culture as deeply as it did.
The STAR WARS score ( The original trilogy) is one of the most moving and affecting scores of film history.
Most of it still brings tears to my eyes to this day.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby beginthebegin » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:09 pm

russ wrote:Without John Williams score, I really believe STAR WARS wouldn't have impacted our culture as deeply as it did.

Agreed, completely. The music for the OT is absolutely perfect. Without that score, those three original films would seem even cheesier than they border on being.

Which proves that with the right score, any 7 foot man in a fur suit or overacting youngster with laser sword or suave motherfucker dressed as a space pirate or pseudo hot-chick in a bitchin metal bikini chained to a talking booger can be a hero.

(aint that right, Star Wars kid?)

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:30 pm

miss carol wrote:No. It is not post-modernist whatever. Now got get your Jedi robe outta the dry cleaners, dweeb

oh my it's been long day...

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:01 pm

beginthebegin wrote:
a talking booger can be a hero.

Are you referring to Curtis Armstrong from "REVENGE OF THE NERDS",
or Jabba The Hut from "RETURN OF THE JEDI" ?

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:09 pm

miss carol wrote:No. It is not. Now got get your Jedi robe outta the dry cleaners, dweeb

Speaking of Jedi Robes, if you are heading into Coruscant in the next 2 weeks, The Gammorean Laundry is having a special on Jedi Robes.
Get 2 dry cleaned for the price of one.

sorry, I'm a geek.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:11 pm

I love the "real" Star Wars movies (77-83) but they aren't "postmodern" by my public university education. I would certainly agree that "Blade Runner" is, and maybe David Lynch's "Dune".

Sad thing is that the films made by Lucas got so awful, and when I watched the Kurosawa film "Hidden Fortress" it made him seem like he was a hack all along. I will give him credit for making awesome space dog-fight scenes when everyone else was still using "Flying saucers" and for doing awesome scenes with a limited effects budget. "Empire" is my favorite of the series but I wonder how much Levinson and Kirshner had to do with that, since it has the best plotting and dialog of the series. The 3rd one was OK but seemed in some ways a re-hash of the 1st, but still has it's moments. Esp. the scene where Luke chops off Vader's hand, which goes spinning across the floor, and then stops to look at his own mechanical paw. That scene gives me chills even now when George has used that metaphor to death in the new films, where Anakin or Mace's limbs going flying off every ten minutes or so.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:26 pm

Is Star Wars The Greatest Post Modern Art Film Of All Time?

no

Return to “Rants and Raves”