Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain

Postby Jake » Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:58 am

Peyote Won't Rot Your Brain. Unlike some other drugs, the favorite hallucinogen of Native Americans and adventurous city folk doesn't appear to cause long-term cognitive damage. It might even be good for you. By Randy Dotinga.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:19 am

Native Americans use it as a sort of cure-all...I've never taken it (if anyone has, I'd like to hear what it's like), but supposedly you go through this period of absolute wretchedness where you feel that death is at the door and you can't stop vomiting and whatnot. They believed this was the expunging of whatever illness or problem you were taking the peyote for. I've heard testimonials (from Native Americans and non-Native Americans who wanted to try holistic medicine) that it absolutely works. Who knows?

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:44 pm

Where the hell can you get a hold of some peyote?

ryanking
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby ryanking » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:43 pm

you can get some if you go to Boquillas Del Carmen, Mexico, right across the border from Big Bend National Park. It's a rowboat crossing from the park land into the village, the Border Patrol station is on the highway out of the park. The legend goes that if the yellow lights are flashing on the sign 1/2 mile before the Border Patrol station, that means the station is occupied, and you better throw out everything you've got in your car.

I've also been told that the flowers of the cactus are where it's really at, but the cactus that the villager produced didn't have any flowers on it. I said, "hey man, where are the flowers?" and he insisted that all peyote looks like that and that it was fine. I figured, what did I know?

Didn't know what to do with it, though, and ended up tossing it. I bet those Border Patrol guys wait by that sign and collect everything those people throw out.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:12 am

In related news, 83 kilograms of pot needed for religious rite, charged native says

Guess, peyote alone didn't cut the muster.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:36 am

First: it's still legal?!

Second: I can't imagine why any person would want to use it "long-term," but maybe that's just me.

Little Timmy
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Little Timmy » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:31 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I can't imagine why any person would want to use it "long-term," but maybe that's just me.

I believe that, in our culture, there would be a certain stigma attached to staggering around, vomiting from all pores and speaking in tongues to one's ancestors. Not that it ever bothered those Yananamos in the Amazon. Remember those cats from the anthropology film back in high school? Taking turns blasting some hallucinogenic ground-up tree bark stuff up each others' noses with a bamboo blow-gun -- now, that's the way to par-teee!

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby trainwreck2 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:45 pm

I think the supreme court keeps striking down laws allowing religious use of drugs, which is pretty much unconstitutional...so its probably not legal even for religious rites...
as far as crackers go its certainly not legal...

Barabajagal wrote:First: it's still legal?!

Second: I can't imagine why any person would want to use it "long-term," but maybe that's just me.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:48 pm

It is legal on Native American reservation grounds deemed appropriate by our government.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:13 pm

Tom4 wrote:It is legal on Native American reservation grounds deemed appropriate by our government.

Here's a question that I'm too lazy to search for: Is there a US federal department dedicated to Indian affairs? Also, is there a distinction between reservation and non-reservation Indians? In Canada there is such a ministry and there is a distinction made for "status" and "non-status" Indians (or First Nations peoples). The rationale has quite ugly foundations.

I'm more curious than anything. I took a Native History course way back in university and was quite appalled at the treatment of First Nations (by govt, church, traders, etc). Did you know that Canadian reservations were the model for South African bantusans? Yep. Quite the eagle feather in the old RCMP hat, there, I'd say.
Last edited by miss carol on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rants and Raves”