Any Juliana Hatifield fans here?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Any Juliana Hatifield fans here?

Postby Dawg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:43 am

I think I remember seeing some before (Miss Carol, maybe?)

Anyway, I used to be a big fan of hers back in her early-mid 90's heyday.

Then I bought "Bed" and thought it was terrible, so I kind of lost track. Last night I was listening to "Hey Baby" and remembered how much I used to enjoy her music (especially the aforementioned "Hey Baby" and especially "Only Everything").

Leads me to this: I know she's still putting out records, in fact I think one came out recently. I think she also had a new band called Juliana's Pony.

If any of you have kept up, can you tell me the best records she's put out since "Bed"? (I'm including Blake Babies too, I think they had a record sometime recently) Or at least maybe compile several songs from the last few that I can grab on itunes? Any help is appreciated.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:04 pm

i am one of the biggest juliana hatfield fans. the band juliana's pony isn't new. that cd was out in 2000 and she has since put two more cd's and a greatest hits package. not to mention another blake babies cd and her side project some girls. i would higly recommend getting juliana hatfield's in exile deo and the new one made in china. i absolutely loved in exile deo. it's her best record ever. also try and find the blake babies one too. it's great as well. i wasn't too huge on some girls, but i did like it. here's her website in case there's any more info than what i gave you.

www.julianahatfield.com

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Thanks, Sam. You were the other poster I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember your name.

I'll check that stuff out.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:14 pm

Saw her once when she played a show on the Rutgers University campus in the early 90s.
She even signed my cd.
woo hoo.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:55 pm

I used to be a big fan of her mid-90s stuff as well ala Become What You Are, but I haven't really kept up with her since then. I probably should catch up.

Her All Music Guide page lists four albums since Bed. I remember hearing In Exile Deo was pretty good, and it got good reviews, so maybe that would be the place to start.

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:10 pm

Hey Babe B-
Become What You Are C
Only Everything A-
God's Foot B+
Please Do Not Disturb A
Bed C-
Beautiful Creature A+
Gold Stars: Juliana Hatfield Collection B- (I don't care for the "new" songs on it, otherwise it's a smorgasboard of prior releases)
In Exile Deo D+
Made in China B+

"In Exile Deo" verges a little too close to Cheryl Crow territory for me, but it's very accessible. "Only Everything" is where it started to really come together for Juliana as a solo artist to me. Ironically it got huge marketing push and flopped, which inspired the excellent but unreleased "God's Foot" (fileshare it). Juliana's "Bed" is unkempt and messy, but she quickly returned to form on the 2000 "Beautiful Creature", a mostly acoustic set that approaches folk-rock at moments but is intelligent and introspective. It coincided with the release of the abrasive, Sebadoh's sister-sounding "Total System Failure" EP by Juliana's Pony. "Made in China" is also loud and raw, following the middle of the road (to my ears) In Exile Deo.

With others:
Blake Babies: early 90's alternative jangle-pop
Nicely, Nicely B-
Earwig A- (bizarre but terrific Stooges cover on here, "Loose")
Sunburn B-
Rosy Jack World B (features Henry Rollins on one song)
God Bless the Blake Babies A- (from 2001, after lengthy hiatus)

Juliana also appeared on albums by Giant Sand and The Lemonheads around this time. Lately she sang backup on Aimee Mann's "Magnolia" and John Doe's last release.

Juliana's Pony: Total System Failure B
Some Girls: Feel It C

As a live performer Juliana is erratic, she can be brilliant one night and terrible the next. I would recommend checking out Vassar College show from 4/25/98 on the web, along with Mercury Lounge, NY 8/11/97 & Met Cafe 3/30/00

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:23 pm

Sorry, Heitzie, I was thinking of you when I mentioned another poster. I knew the person had JH in her sig!

So am I to understand that "God's Foot" was unreleased? Any info as to why?

Heitzie
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Heitzie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:34 pm

From what I understand, "God's foot" was property of Atlantic, who had signed Juliana to a large contract prior to "Only Everything". When "Only Everything" failed to sell as expected, Atlantic decided not to release "God's Foot". Under terms of their contract with Juliana, "God's Foot" was THEIR property, and if Juliana wished to release it independantly, she would have to buy it back from them at excessive cost. So it was more a question of dollars than the album not being "commercial" enough, as in the Aimee Mann/Fiona Apple situations. Still f*cked though.

The verison of "God's Foot" on the web is a little under-produced but still excellent. It's in the same vein as "Only Everyting" but a little more mature, less energetic to my ears. Two songs off of it, "Mountains of Love" and "Fade Away" are on "Gold Stars" and they are two of the better tracks. Apparently, the track order of the "God's Foot" floating around the web in not the one Juliana intended, but I have no clue.

Maybe Juliana will post here and tell us?

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:45 pm

No, dawg, it wasn't me.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:10 am

Thanks for all of the replies. I just ordered "In Exile Deo" for about five bucks online. Will probably do the same for "Beautiful Creature"

I checked my file share for anything off God's Foot, but didnt see anything. I did find some interesting songs...a live cover of "Say It Ain't So" and "You Don't Own Me" (old 50's song), and a song called "Feed Me" which is the same tune as the Blake Babies "Oh Potato", but slower with just JH on vocals - very beautiful. Heitzie or grounded - any info on that song?

Return to “Rants and Raves”