Chronic-les of Narnia

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue May 21, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Detroit City

Chronic-les of Narnia

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:45 am

SNL - still pretty funny sometimes.

The Chronic-WHAT?!-cles of Narnia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=zLElfJ9YCh0

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:13 pm

Funniest thing they've run in ages, and I don't usually go for the SNL bashing.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: chicago

Postby vitas » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:24 pm

it is without a doubt one of the funniest things they've run in a while. it actually runs right up there with the quality of the the best of the original cast. from concept to execution.... spot on.

i hadn't watched snl in ages... but tuned in this weekend for neil young... and honestly was pleasantly suprised when this digital short came on. only hope for more of this level of stuff. think a lot of it has to do with the new kid... andy samberg. here's to hoping he gives more quality stuff.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 2892
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:00 pm

Postby D. Phillips » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:29 pm

vitas wrote:it is without a doubt one of the funniest things they've run in a while. it actually runs right up there with the quality of the the best of the original cast. from concept to execution.... spot on.

i hadn't watched snl in ages... but tuned in this weekend for neil young... and honestly was pleasantly suprised when this digital short came on. only hope for more of this level of stuff. think a lot of it has to do with the new kid... andy samberg. here's to hoping he gives more quality stuff.


I also love Amy Poehler (big time!), Tina Fey, Chris Parnell, and Fred Armisen.

Johnny Loftus
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue May 21, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: Detroit City

Postby Johnny Loftus » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:37 pm

Samberg's part of a comedy troupe called The Lonely Island. There's some pretty funny stuff on their site, http://www.thelonelyisland.com.

I think network cold feet on risque or otherwise edgy humor as well as pressure to go with the easiest/proven joke (driving the most effective bits into the ground) are what kill that show the most.

So: if SNL had the same cast and got the same celebrity/music guests, but was broadcast entirely online, would it be funnier?

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2002 8:00 pm
Location: chicago

Postby vitas » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:44 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
I also love Amy Poehler (big time!)


actually, i was just mentioning to my wife this weekend that i think amy poehler is my new tv crush.

and i think it would be funnier if it weren't on network television... or if snl wasn't an institution. i think the show struggles because of it's place in pop culture. can only be a shadow of itself and leak out a few truly inventive sketches.... 80% safe.... 20% funny. plus, it's a testing ground for middle of the road film ideas. honestly, has there been one truly funny film idea to come out of saturday night live in a long time? or an alum of snl that has had a great film lately? i can't think of any, but i haven't exactly been following that closely.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac
Posts: 1097
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:38 pm
Location: New Joisey

Postby russ » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:11 pm

I saw that on SNL the other night.
Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and I think Andy Samberg is H-O-T.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG
Posts: 3118
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: West Michigan

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:13 pm

Johnny Loftus wrote:So: if SNL had the same cast and got the same celebrity/music guests, but was broadcast entirely online, would it be funnier?


As long as the Lonely Island guys were running the show. And Loren Michaels had nothing to do with it.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 9:04 pm

Postby grounded5am » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:17 pm

vitas wrote:...or an alum of snl that has had a great film lately? i can't think of any, but i haven't exactly been following that closely.


bill murray has been doing some great work lately.

Jake
GLONO Team Member
Posts: 7238
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2001 8:00 pm
Location: Michigan

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:24 pm

I've been Tivoing SNL for a couple years now, and I think it's as funny as ever. Have you watched any of the original episodes from the 70s in their entirety lately? Not that funny. Actually, the hits-to-misses ratio is about the same as it is now. About 25% funny, per show. People's memories of the original cast are greatly exaggerated. There were a lot of stinkers even back then.


Return to “Rants and Raves”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests