What ROCKED BALLS in 2005?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

What ROCKED BALLS in 2005?

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:50 pm

I said "rocked balls," so don't be giving me this folkie stuff like Sufjan, Bright Eyes, and please for the love of Jah don't tell me one of these fucking bands that sound like New Wave bands I didn't even like in the 1980s, okay, I don't want to have an ironic dance party or get a nifty haircut. I said "ROCK." And no faux prog freaks either.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:56 pm

The Muggs. From Detroit.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:58 pm

Art Brut. Oh, and Refused always rocks. Even if they're broken up.

Greenwood The Sock Monkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Re: What ROCKED BALLS in 2005?

Postby Greenwood The Sock Monkey » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:20 pm

Barabajagal wrote:I said "rocked balls," so don't be giving me this folkie stuff like Sufjan, Bright Eyes, and please for the love of Jah don't tell me one of these fucking bands that sound like New Wave bands I didn't even like in the 1980s, okay, I don't want to have an ironic dance party or get a nifty haircut. I said "ROCK." And no faux prog freaks either.

I gotta say Maximo Park then. It would be a real stretch to say they sound new wavey. They rocked my block, anyway. Always a good disc to play on the way to my hockey games.

You say no prog, so I'll keep the Mars Volta to myself. Though it does (say it quietly) rock. Like a motherfucker at times too, if said mofo were Santana.

redfieldp
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby redfieldp » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:12 pm

The Features and Kings Of Leon. What a kickin' double bill.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:18 pm

HIGH ON FIRE's-"Blessed Black Wings" rocked my balls off this year. Smart heavy metal reduced by Steve Albini. In other words: the drums sound fantastic and the riffin' is where it needs to be: drop d and chuggy.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:51 pm

well damn then! i was going to say martha wainwright, but i'm not sure if anyone else would think she rocked out. and your new wave thing takes out the new order cd. hmmm..... well i think that juliana hatfield's new one rocked out like a motha, as did the debut by the like. i'd also mention coldplay too.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:54 pm

I'll second Art Brut and Kings of Leon. Also I'll throw in a little DFA 1979 and some Test Icicles. I suspect the Drones also are some sack-swelling rockers

rnolan66
GLONO Board Playa

rocked

Postby rnolan66 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:08 pm

The Muggs. From Detroit.

I'll second that. The record isn't totally there yet and they mine territory (James Gang, Jeff Beck Group) they I've never really liked...but they still work for me. Next disc could be a monster. I already mentioned the Sights over on the other thread, they were reliable every time and incarnation of them I saw all year.
The most underrated Detroit/Ann Arbor outfit of all though is easily
The Boomerangs. The Boomerangs fucking rock and they crack me up every time I see them. They mine the whole garage soul thing far more convincingly than any other Michigan band-Cobras included. Their show and songs breathe too...Dan refuses to play a song the same way more than once in most cases. Sadly they are probably too old and too real for the superficial, snobby Detroit tastemakers. Despite Eddie repeatedly pulling Dan onstage for Sights encores and turning the mic over to him they don't seem to catch a break. They even blew the doors off the kiddie bands at the recent No Fun Records showcase, but no one is clamoring to touch their killer record that sits in the can. A damn shame.

Bob

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:13 pm

grounded5am wrote:i'd also mention coldplay too.

i don't know if coldplay has ever "rocked balls," but if they have, they certainly didn't on their newest (IMO, blandest) record. now the hold steady, they rocked balls.

Return to “Rants and Raves”