tmbg (the statue got me high)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

tmbg (the statue got me high)

Postby grounded5am » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:02 pm

anyone here into they might be giants? i've recently got back into them and wondered what cd's i should get. i already their 2 compliations they released. plus they got lost, the spine, here comes the abc's, flood and john henry. i heard some of venue songs and liked it.

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:12 pm

"Flood" is pretty hard to beat, but "Lincoln" is a good early one. To be honest I haven't listened to them in a long time, and lost track after "Apollo 18" (which has a really good medley on the end), so I don't really know about much work post-1994. Funny live band though. And NPR loves them, so they've got that in their Super Rock corner.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:22 pm

I bought the recent comp: User's Guide to TMBG. It's fun stuff. I had Lincoln and Flood on cassette back in the day, but really, how much do you need? One good comp is great, and plenty.

Their videos are the best though. I could watch those two guys dance for hours...

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:34 pm

I've got Then: The Earlier Years which has their self-titled debut, their second album Lincoln and tracks from all the ep's and singles released around that time. It's really great if you don't already have the early stuff. Flood is also great. I have Mink Car as well, which is hit and miss but does contain their version of "Yeh, Yeh" and a guest appearance by Mike Doughty. Allmusic.com kind of crapped on Factory Showroom but called Mink Car a return to form of sorts. Go figure.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: tmbg (the statue got me high)

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:29 am

grounded5am wrote:anyone here into they might be giants? i've recently got back into them and wondered what cd's i should get. i already their 2 compliations they released. plus they got lost, the spine, here comes the abc's, flood and john henry. i heard some of venue songs and liked it.

I am a TMBG freak, and I second 'Flood' & 'Then: The Earlier Years' - you'd have their 3 best albums then plus lots of great EP's and rare oddities.

You should also consider 'Apollo 18', 'John Henry', and 'Mink Car'.

Also, TMBG have a great podcast on the iTunes store. Download it and chuckle.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: tmbg (the statue got me high)

Postby russ » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:27 am

grounded5am wrote:anyone here into they might be giants? i've recently got back into them and wondered what cd's i should get. i already their 2 compliations they released. plus they got lost, the spine, here comes the abc's, flood and john henry. i heard some of venue songs and liked it.

LINCOLN is their BEST cd.
I got into them in 1987 when 'Don't Lets Start' got some Mtv play and have followed them ever since. They were better when they were two guys playing with a pre recorded background.
When they got a proper backing band they began to get a little too normal, but they are still great.

They play great live shows too.

Man, I saw them at thre Faslane in Asbury Park right before FLOOD came out in like 1990. Gawd that was 16 YEARS ago!
I'm so old now.....

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:47 pm

Any of you with toddlers (especially anyone made crazy by annoying toddler music) should check out "No!", their children's album.

Lots of fun to listen to, and my kiddies love it.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:50 pm

here comes the abc's is awesome as well. and it includes a dvd of videos for the songs. i like the song e eats everything. it's a great album for kids and adults.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:18 pm

Jake wrote:I bought the recent comp: User's Guide to TMBG. It's fun stuff. I had Lincoln and Flood on cassette back in the day, but really, how much do you need? One good comp is great, and plenty.

Agreed. Loved the songs "Don't Let's Start" and "Snowball In Hell" which is a great song about working in retail.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:28 pm

worpswede wrote:
Jake wrote:I bought the recent comp: User's Guide to TMBG. It's fun stuff. I had Lincoln and Flood on cassette back in the day, but really, how much do you need? One good comp is great, and plenty.

Agreed. Loved the songs "Don't Let's Start" and "Snowball In Hell" which is a great song about working in retail.

'Minimum Wage' should be the anthem for workers everywhere.

Return to “Rants and Raves”