My Issues With KISS

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

KISS is...

Great: The hottest band in the land
6%
Good: I love it loud
13%
Fair: God gave rock & roll to you
28%
Poor: Tears are falling
28%
Awful: All hell's breakin' loose
25%

Total votes: 32

anothermonkey
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby anothermonkey » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:08 pm

Kiss is pretty terrible. I've always viewed them as the least talented band to ever get to their level of success. I voted 'Poor' because they have a *couple* songs that sound good to me when I'm really drunk.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:43 pm

I revisited this thread because I came across a great new bootleg called Paul Stanley-"People, Let Me Get This Off My Chest." 70 tracks that make over an hour's worth of the Star Child's in-between song banter. Further proof that Kiss still sucks, but one of the funniest things I've heard in ages. Click on the link to get the zip file.
Courtesy of Postpunkjunk.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:41 am

I don't like KISS. They had precious little to do with my musical upbringing. I do, however, find the concept of KISS interesting, in that Simmons and Stanley are the owners of the business and the other members are employees. (I may be wrong about the original line-up, but I think suspect this was the status of subsequent players.) KISS is a brand like Nike and Tommy Hilfiger. Did any of the ex-members go on to form their own bands? Sure they did "solo" stuff, but using the KISS make-up. I could be wrong about some of this, but I don't think I'm too far off the mark. So I don't accord Simmons/Stanley any due apart from good marketing in the same fashion as Madonna. You may like the musical product, but the REAL thing you're paying for is the brand/concept.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:19 am

When I was 12 to 14 in the late 1970's KISS was the coolest thing out there. And they conquered the world without a lot of help from radio.
There's nothing like being a kid and discovering something you think is really cool. When you're in your 20's and 30's you might stumble across a band or tv show that gets you excited, but it's not the same rush as when you're 14. That's one thing you can't take away from KISS. They ruled the world of junior high and high school kids from 1976 to 1979.
We knew the music was cheesy even though a lot it was actually quite dark lyrically. It was more than the music. KISS was like a cool evil Santa Claus for high school boys who had learned a few years earlier that Santa didn't exist. Then KISS became a hair band. Gene Simmons opened his mouth and we found out he was a blabbering asshole who only cared about money and self-promotion. It was like finding out Santa was fake all over again. It's ridiculous for someone who is serious about music to critique KISS's career as a whole.
Silly rabbits. KISS was for kids!

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Postby Proptronics » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:26 pm

Thank god you said it Sven... why can't people see that? Digging KISS is like people that still get geeked out over new Star Wars releases, it's ok to let you inner nerd out once in a while!

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby russ » Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:41 pm

I bought every KISS album in the 70s when I was a wee tyke because they looked cool to my suburban NJ 8 year old brain.
I still remember taking my cardboard 'LOVE GUN' pistol to camp to show my counselor.

By the age of 12 though, KISS was over for me and Bowie took over.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:05 pm

You know what, though? I really dug that "Hard Luck Woman" cover Garth Brooks did in 1992. Better than the original (for whatever that's worth) if you ask me

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:30 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Silly rabbits. KISS was for kids!

Perfectly said Sven. I worshipped them from the age of 4 (1975) until about 12 or 13 when I discovered Van Halen and Led Zeppelin. I realize that they are the most crassly commercial band ever (and unashamedly so), but I still think their first 3 studio albums and KISS ALIVE are wicked, wicked records. I know it's a cliche, but it rings true - these albums were all written and recorded before the money started pouring in and they were hungry and just looking to make it. But once ALIVE took off and then Destroyer was released, they got lazy - creatively anyways. If they had died in a plane crash in 1978, they would have exited at the height of their fame and history might remember them more fondly than they do now. I was glad to get a chance to see them on the first reunion tour in Vancouver at GM Place in Sept 1996, but that was all I needed. I made the mistake of seeing them a year later in Edmonton and the show was NEARLY IDENTICAL.....I thought maybe they would mix it up a bit, but no. Even the stage banter was mostly the same. And whereas in the 70's Paul used to talk about all the different types of booze people liked to drink (in the intro to "Cold Gin") he now did the intro with a warning telling people not to drink and drive ("because NOBODY PARTIES WHEN THEY'RE DEAD!!!!"). Oh really? Geez thanks for the education Paul. How lame can you get.

So while I don't see their music as timeless or on a comparable level to universally recognized classic rock 'n roll (Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Rolling Stones, The Who, etc.), it does hold a special place in my heart just because they were my the center of my musical world during my early childhood years. Unfortunately they just continue to soil their legacy with incessant reunion tours (featuring nameless drummers and guitar players wearing Ace's and Peter's makeup), ridiculous commercial enterprises (caskets anyone?) and their pathetic music (it's sucked IMHO since about 1979). Not much else to say.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:35 pm

Herb Tarlek wrote:[ NOBODY PARTIES WHEN THEY'RE DEAD!!!!"). Oh really? Geez thanks for the education Paul.

Sounds like something a children's tv character might say to try to sound hip. Was Paul brilliantly staying in character with the makeup or is he just stupid?

Herb Tarlek
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Herb Tarlek » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:08 pm

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:Sounds like something a children's tv character might say to try to sound hip. Was Paul brilliantly staying in character with the makeup or is he just stupid?

Is he ever out of character? Frankly I think that he's lived the egotistical rock star life for so long that his grip on reality is really quite tenuous. In fact he kind of reminds me of a televangelist or motivational speaker when he's in interviews, so full of himself as if he has the answers to everything in life. For example:

"A Kiss concert experience is like sex or anything else that's done with more that one person. It's the give and take that makes it so great. When the audience takes it to the next level, we can kick it up another notch."

"Nothing could ever stop Kiss. I've seen the band in down times where critics were like vultures circling overhead saying things like, 'Well, you know it's the end of your career.'"

"When you start fooling around with drugs, you're hurting your creativity, you're hurting your health. Drugs are death, in one form or another. If they don't kill you, they kill your soul. And if your soul's dead, you've got nothing to offer, anyway."

Full Of Shit should be his middle name.

Return to “Rants and Raves”