similiar album covers

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:55 pm

this cover:

seems to owe something to both:

and:

or maybe it's just me...

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:31 am

vs.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:13 am

thinsafetypin wrote:this cover:

seems to owe something to both:

and:

or maybe it's just me...

oh my! funny you mention this, as i just bought that teenage fanclub cd. i'm not sure where i read it, but i heard a mention the cover was definitely a pink floyd type of cover. and maybe even desgined by the same guy.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 pm

michaelvincent wrote:
vs.

That Scott Weiland disc is actually pretty good. Anyone else have it?

Too bad he went way off the deep end shortly thereafter...

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:44 pm

I bought it when it came out, I thought it was really good, too.

From what I've read he was off the deep end the whole time he was making that record and touring on it. He played it off at the time that he was totally clean and into his solo album, but sometime after he admitted that he was off his tits on heroin and crack the whole time.

Gotta love those tragic, destructive rock stars.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:00 pm

michaelvincent wrote:I bought it when it came out, I thought it was really good, too.

From what I've read he was off the deep end the whole time he was making that record and touring on it. He played it off at the time that he was totally clean and into his solo album, but sometime after he admitted that he was off his tits on heroin and crack the whole time.

Gotta love those tragic, destructive rock stars.

Yeah, I mean, I figure he was on drugs when he made that record. You can tell by listening to it. The thing is, they were workin' for him, because he made a really interesting, solid record.

Shortly thereafter, they stopped workin' for him and he started workin' for them. In rehab, out of rehab. Kicked out of STP for good. Bla bla bla and look at him now, completely washed up.

On a similar note, anyone hear the Talk Show record (STP minus Weiland) that came out around the same time? It's got some good songs on it too. It was like taking STP and removing the heroin, and what you ended up with were some pretty decent melodic alt-rock songs. But as for the singing, it was like trading Michael Hutchence for what's-his-face.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:21 pm

glono's favorite son would disagree with your assessment of weiland's current path. johnny loftus does velvet revolver for allmusic.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:52 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:glono's favorite son would disagree with your assessment of weiland's current path. johnny loftus does velvet revolver for allmusic.

Eh, I don't know if he would so much disagree as put a different spin on it. Weiland is half the man [artist] he used to be, recent developments with rehab and any VR success be damned. I give him props for staying in the game and for still being able to sing and put on a good performance. But his songwriting skills have evidently soured, or at least mainlained, and I doubt he'll achieve again the popular success and critical acclaim of his earlier STP days. Of course, I'd be happy to see him release another solo record, and I'd consider buying it.

beginthebegin
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby beginthebegin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:49 pm

n8 wrote:On a similar note, anyone hear the Talk Show record (STP minus Weiland) that came out around the same time? It's got some good songs on it too. It was like taking STP and removing the heroin, and what you ended up with were some pretty decent melodic alt-rock songs. But as for the singing, it was like trading Michael Hutchence for what's-his-face.

Yeah, I've got that album, and I like it quite a bit actually. Although I always laugh at that song "Everybody Loves my Car" because I've always just assumed they changed it to "car" after they decided that "cock" was too direct.

"Ring Twice", "Hello Hello", and "Peeling an Orange" are solid, lost 90s rock songs.

Return to “Rants and Raves”