VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs (you know you watched it)

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

VH1's 40 Greatest Metal Songs (you know you watched it)

Postby Dawg » Sun May 07, 2006 4:11 pm

Come on; that's irresistable
Here's the top 10 if you didn't see it:

01. BLACK SABBATH - "Iron Man" (1971)
02. GUNS N' ROSES - "Welcome to the Jungle" (1987)
03. METALLICA - "Master of Puppets" (1986)
04. AC/DC - "Back in Black" (1980)
05. JUDAS PRIEST - "You've Got Another Thing Coming" (1982)
06. KISS - 'Detroit Rock City" (1976)
07. IRON MAIDEN - "The Number of the Beast" (1982)
08. SLAYER - 'Raining Blood" (1986)
09. OZZY OSBOURNE - "Crazy Train" (1980)
10. MOTÖRHEAD - "Ace Of Spades" (1980)

I was surprised there was no Van Halen! Have the mighty fallen that far?

I was pleased to see two entries from Pantera ("Cowboys From Hell, "Walk") and two from Iron Maiden ("Run to the Hills" also). "Detroit Rock City" was WAY too high; shouldn't have made the list at all if ya asked me. I would have put Slayer's "Angel of Death" over "Raining Blood", but I suppose it's more polite to leave off "Angel", what with it being about Dr. Mengele and all.

I thought for sure Metallica would have more than one song. I thought "One" might be the top song altogether. "Master of Puppets" was a good choice, although you could easlily have "Fade to Black", "Creeping Death" or "Seek and Destroy" on the list.

Was also happy to see Anthrax get some love; "Caught in a Mosh" was a great choice. Overall, I thought there was much more thought given to this countdown than the usual VH1 fare. Good series, IMO.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon May 08, 2006 2:02 am

Didn't watch it, but is there a link to the whole list? And fuck "Crazy Train." That is some lightweight pop-metal if you ask me. Prince of fucking Darkness my nut sac.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 08, 2006 7:26 am

jaimoe0 wrote:Didn't watch it, but is there a link to the whole list? And fuck "Crazy Train." That is some lightweight pop-metal if you ask me.

Oh come on, that's got one of the greatest, metalest riffs ever. Have some respect. And how is "Sweet Leaf" not on there? Shit, the top ten could easily be all Sabbath.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon May 08, 2006 7:54 am

"Crazy Train" isn't so much about Ozzy as it is Randy Rhoades. That live version is frekkin' killer.

jaimoe - I've looked far and wide for the complete list and can't find it. Vh1's website....sucks, really. Pretty soon someone's gonna write it up on another site and then I can add it to the thread.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Mon May 08, 2006 9:44 am

No but I'm sorry I missed it!

Don't dis the Crazy Train, and give me a fuckin break, "Detroit Rock City."

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 08, 2006 9:59 am

I saw it. As a lover of lists, I usually find myself watching this kind of thing, getting mad at the results, and then calming down when I remember "It's just VH1....Hardly an authority on music."
Judas Priest-"You've Got Another Thing Coming"
Please, "Breaking The Law" was more important that this attempt at mainstream radio.
Kiss-"Detroit Rock City"
What Barabajagal said.
To keep things current, they had to throw in System of a Down and Slipknot, even though they're hardly part of the "greatest" metal songs.
I was happy to see Accept on there. Seriously. That riff rules.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:43 pm

I still say "Crazy Train" sounds like it was written by an ass-monkey with a road map to the top 40. Meh.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon May 08, 2006 4:25 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:I still say "Crazy Train" sounds like it was written by an ass-monkey with a road map to the top 40. Meh.

That and Randy Rhodes' guitar in that song has one of the worst tones I think I have ever heard. That crappy, tinny, distortion he uses sounds like what you might expect from those old guitars with a built in speaker you get from JC Penney.

Black Sabbath is awesome, but Ozzy fucking sucks.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Mon May 08, 2006 7:03 pm

Black Sabbath is awesome, but Ozzy fucking sucks.

I read or heard this somewhere (very possibly on this site) that if you think about it, in the Sabbath songs, Ozzy basically sings along with Iommi's riffs for the melodies.

Hmmmmmm.....

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Mon May 08, 2006 7:40 pm

Ozzy is a huge Beatles fan. A lot of his solo material is him trying to
be like The Beatles and coming up with some weird result that is far from The Fab Four. Black Sabbath is based in the blues and that's why it whips the llamas ass.

Return to “Rants and Raves”