sleater kinney break up

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

trainwreck2
GLONO Board Maniac

sleater kinney break up

Postby trainwreck2 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:05 pm

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Finally...

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Yeah. Pitchfork called them "America's greatest rock band." I have no idea who they're listening to. Sleater-Kinney was one of those bands, like Sonic Youth, that just sounded like shit to me.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:55 pm

You know what this means, of course. All Lisa-Loeb-style-glasses wearing, indie feminists, grrls will cry and a tribute album will be released featuring Le-friggen-Tigre. Then there will be MORE feature articles in Bust about their influence and the proliference of chick rock; and MS will do a minor profile and decry the absense of chicks in rock and how we're all put upon by patriarchy.

In other words, it's gonna get ugly. And I'll need a lot of beer....but if they don't put out another singer-on-helium record, the world will be a better place.

And fuck S-K. It's all about Etta today.

Is it 5:30 EST yet?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:39 pm

Sheesh, that's a lot of hate for a band composed of seemingly cool people with hardcore D/I/Y ethics. Sure, they're abrasive. That's kind of the point, isn't it? I don't like much of their stuff, but motherfuck me if "You're No Rock and Roll Fun" isn't a great song.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w1L2kfm1yTw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

I mean, you don't hear people spewing this much venom toward Fugazi. Is it because they're girls? And girls are supposed to be pretty and sweet and nice? And not nasty and loud and painful?
Last edited by Jake on Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:41 pm

No hate here, just indifference. Good for them and their work ethic but I personally couldn't care less if I never hear another S-K song.

But I'm sure you'll be crying a river when Deerhoof packs it in...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:46 pm

D. Phillips wrote:But I'm sure you'll be crying a river when Deerhoof packs it in...

Ha! But Deerhoof doesn't even have one good, listenable song!

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:51 pm

Boo-Hoo.

[Insert emo-ticon here]

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Jake wrote:Sheesh, that's a lot of hate for a band composed of seemingly cool people with hardcore D/I/Y ethics. Sure, they're abrasive. That's kind of the point, isn't it? I don't like much of their stuff, but motherfuck me if "You're No Rock and Roll Fun" isn't a great song.

I've always wished I had that song on some sort of audio device so that I could play it at anybody that started pissing on my parade or engaged in shitheadish behavior. Extra points because the lyrics start immediately in the song instead of after some intro.

"Mr. Index, we need you to work overtime this -"
"Youuuuuu're noooooo rockinroll fun"

Not that such devices don't exist; I just don't have one. And I can't sing.

Kristy
GLONO Team Member

Postby Kristy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:05 pm

I think S-K were a great rock band. Dig Me Out, Call the Doctor and (eponymous) are all fantastic. Plus the women are just really good musicians and performers. I haven't gotten into their later albums but I'll miss them on the rock scene and I'm surprised to hear people dissing them.

Return to “Rants and Raves”