sleater kinney break up

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:38 pm

Kristy wrote:I think S-K were a great rock band. Dig Me Out, Call the Doctor and (eponymous) are all fantastic. Plus the women are just really good musicians and performers. I haven't gotten into their later albums but I'll miss them on the rock scene and I'm surprised to hear people dissing them.

Sure, totally respect their thing, it just ain't my thing. I always found their music annoying.

And to jake's point about Fugazi: I find some of that stuff annoying too.

It's OK, it's not sexist to not like S-K.

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:57 pm

I'll miss them because I think they rocked with abandon and ferocity. A great band, true independent spirits, I think this is a shame. And yes, the vocals veered into the screechy realm from time to time, but their good points so far outweigh that one negative, it seems assinine to even bring it up. Anyway, thanks for the tunes, Sleater-Kinney!

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:36 pm

Wow. The hate here blows me away. I'd echo a lot of what jaimoe said. America's greatest rock band they're not, but they're a damn fine American rock band. I'll miss 'em.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:54 pm

jaimoe0 wrote:I'll miss them because I think they rocked with abandon and ferocity. A great band, true independent spirits, I think this is a shame. And yes, the vocals veered into the screechy realm from time to time, but their good points so far outweigh that one negative, it seems assinine to even bring it up. Anyway, thanks for the tunes, Sleater-Kinney!

Simplicity was their forte. Good band just to rock out with. And "You're No Rock 'n' Roll Fun" is indeed a motherfucking kickass song. They could be a little too much at times, but they were generallly a very good band. I will miss them dearly.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:17 pm

Kristy wrote:I think S-K were a great rock band. Dig Me Out, Call the Doctor and (eponymous) are all fantastic. Plus the women are just really good musicians and performers. I haven't gotten into their later albums but I'll miss them on the rock scene and I'm surprised to hear people dissing them.

Wow - my sentiments exactly. I saw them play a few gigs around NYC (the Village Underground, Irving Plaza, etc.) that were mind-blowingly good. All the other all-girl rock bands don't hold a candle to them. Most mixed-gender and all-male rock bands couldn't compete either. On stage they played perfectly off and with one another. Plus, Dig Me Out is just 4-5 stars all the way through. And "Living In Exile" and "Turn It On" are as good as rock gets.

I od'd on them a few years back and haven't really gotten into the last couple of albums tho.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:59 pm

You caught me, Jake. I don't like them because they're women. Yep.All chicks with guitars have to be nice and pink and pretty and fucking delicate. If they were guys, then hell that would be different, cuz well, I'm a chick. For crying out loud, I don't like 'em cause their music bugs me. I own one record that I put on when I wonder, "Hey, I should really like this band. They're women, feminist, apparently cool, blah, blah..." Two and half minutes later I realize: "Oh, yeah. I can't stand this voice."

jaimoe0
Level 10 Glonoid with +5 stamina

Postby jaimoe0 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:43 am

But what about "I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone"? Miss Carol, that song masticates the dingo's fanny.

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:57 am

D. Phillips wrote:
It's OK, it's not sexist to not like S-K.

No, it's just weird. I've been listening to them all night and they flat-out rock. Turn it up.

cat153
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby cat153 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:27 am

OK I'll step up and give some praise. I have most (not all) of their cd's and have really enjoyed them over the years. I tend to listen to their older cds more than their last two or three but I do think they made great punk rock with beautiful melodies/harmonies and did so with passion and as much earnest-ness (is that a word) as a band that exists for a long time can have.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:33 pm

I mean, you don't hear people spewing this much venom toward Fugazi. Is it because they're girls? And girls are supposed to be pretty and sweet and nice? And not nasty and loud and painful?

Actually, one might argue that they got MORE positive press and attention precisely because they ARE girls.

You're right about "Rock and Roll Fun", though. That's a great song.

Return to “Rants and Raves”