This is not a paid advertisement for SPIN

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Stacey K
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

This is not a paid advertisement for SPIN

Postby Stacey K » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:53 am

Hello youse! Haven't written in ages. How's the family? I still lurk around GloNo, though, and came here straight off when I heard about James Brown. (Beautiful tribute, Jake.)

Sooo now I'm a stereotypical single girl Living and Loving in the big city (NYC specifically), and it's fantastic. I just finished an internship at SPIN and am now putting the "free" in "freelancer" for them. I truly love being a part of the mag, even if I STILL FUCKING HATE Panic! at the Disco, and am always itchy for new ideas.

So give me some.

No, really, do you guys read SPIN? And if so, what do you think of it? Even if you're not a member of the My Chemical Romance fan club (only $35/mo!), what do you like or dislike? Is it too wrapped in current music or not enough? What's the best thing you've read in it (recently or otherwise)? What do other magazines do better and worse? Or does it just suck and you feel compelled to write a 100-point manifesto?

Please fire away. I just want an informed/objective view and they ain't paying either of us to be polite. And hey, you'll clue in a hapless journalist! I really want your opinion if you have one. And this is GloNo; you have one.

Thanks, guys. It feels good to come home. You guys have been more influential to me than you know.

P.S. And celebrate, because the Artist of the Year is "YOU"!!! And still, you don't deserve another mylar mirror.

russ
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: This is not a paid advertisement for SPIN

Postby russ » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:13 am

Stacey K wrote:No, really, do you guys read SPIN?

No.

Chris G
Dotman

Re: This is not a paid advertisement for SPIN

Postby Chris G » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:33 am

Stacey K wrote:Sooo now I'm a stereotypical single girl Living and Loving in the big city (NYC specifically)...

welcome to town

Stacey K wrote:No, really, do you guys read SPIN?

I had a subscription in the late 80s, but quit reading the mag long before Guccione Jr. sold off the pub. Honestly, I didn't even realize it was still in print anymore.

Stacey K wrote:And if so, what do you think of it?

That it has fallen off the face of the earth.

Stacey K wrote:...what do you like or dislike? Is it too wrapped in current music or not enough? What's the best thing you've read in it (recently or otherwise)? What do other magazines do better and worse?

Um. As I wasn't even aware that it was even being published anymore, and I haven't seen one at a newsstand in ages, I'd say it could:

A.) Improve its distribution.
B.) Improve its marketing.

Without either of those, its content is sort of irrelevant.

Stacey K wrote:P.S. And celebrate, because the Artist of the Year is "YOU"!!! And still, you don't deserve another mylar mirror.

And to think, I just updated my resume to include my most recent achievement, winning Person of the Year.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:30 am

I don't read it, but I figure it has less to do with the quality of the magazine and more with the fact that it just isn't intended to appeal to my age or musical tastes (i.e. Panic at the Disco/ My Chemical Romance fans). When I actually read music magazines as opposed to getting music info on the internets, I usually go for Mojo.

Still, from what I've read of it, I don't think it's a bad magazine. It's certainly not Rolling Stone or Stuff, which I swear I get a little stupider whenever I read it.

Chris G
Dotman

Postby Chris G » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 am

Are you the same person as Theresa K?

I know [of] a freelance music journalist/photojournalist that sometimes works in New York and posts to some other music boards as Theresa K.

Just wondering.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:17 am

actually spin is worse than rolling stone or stuff. it's the new blender. they've really changed their review section and it sucks. all the hip and popular stuff, i.e. mostly shitty stuff, gets reviewed while under the radar stuff gets tossed aside it seems. i used to read the magazine regularly. by that i mean i would buy it every month and actually read it. now i just pick it up at walgreens and thumb through it.

back when i was in high school they were a cool magazine with relevant and important people on the cover. not so much nowadays. i loved their reviews back then and i would buy stuff based on their recommendation. not in a million years would i do that. hell, they were even pretty cool back 4-5 years ago. lately though they've started choking on it hard. why on earth did spin feel the need to copy blender? i'll admit to reading blender at one time. now though i find blender to be all filler, no killer.

i can't take this new look and attitude that a lot of big music magazines have adopted. it sucks. i'll always have a soft spot for spin, but release that they are currently sucking. sorta like your older brother who you always looked up to, but is letting you down now. you'll always love him, but you may not think so highly of him now as you did back then. same goes for spin. so long older brother. i'll always love ya.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:42 am

grounded5am wrote:actually spin is worse than rolling stone or stuff. it's the new blender. they've really changed their review section and it sucks. all the hip and popular stuff, i.e. mostly shitty stuff, gets reviewed while under the radar stuff gets tossed aside it seems. i used to read the magazine regularly. by that i mean i would buy it every month and actually read it. now i just pick it up at walgreens and thumb through it.

back when i was in high school they were a cool magazine with relevant and important people on the cover. not so much nowadays. i loved their reviews back then and i would buy stuff based on their recommendation. not in a million years would i do that. hell, they were even pretty cool back 4-5 years ago. lately though they've started choking on it hard. why on earth did spin feel the need to copy blender? i'll admit to reading blender at one time. now though i find blender to be all filler, no killer.

Ding ding ding!!!! My sentiments exactly. I used to have a subscription to Spin in the late 90's early 00's, and once they changed printing formats and went to the super-glossy cover with less material inside, I started losing interest. Spin used to take me a week or so to plow through and actually read everything, but in the later days I could almost finish one in one visit to the bathroom. Lots of little bits and music gossip (like Blender), but no real substance. It seems to me like I started not liking it around when Eric Weisbard left, but I might have my chronology out of whack on that one.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:57 am

I haven't looked at Spin since I flipped through a copy from ~2002 that I found while I was waiting for my car to be washed. I would read Klosterman's columns online. And I scan the "Hey This is Awesome" and "Band of the Day" feeds for mp3s...

Oh wait, I bought an issue of Spin a couple years ago that had a long article about Pete Doherty that included a photo of him smoking crack.

One thing Spin ought to do is to give free subs to Salon subscribers. Rolling Stone does that, and it's the only way I would have found out that it's not such a bad magazine despite the fluffy covers; there's usually one or two good articles per issue.

All I want in a magazine are well written articles about interesting people. Or clever articles about boring/stupid people. I'd read an article about My Chemical Romance if it was interesting, but usually I can't make it past the lead without totally losing interest. Make me care.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:08 pm

It's fun to read Gawker's account of Spin's ongoing troubles:

http://www.gawker.com/news/spin/

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:26 pm

No, I don't read Spin. I also don't sell a lot of Spin. Rolling Stone does better in my neighbourhood, probably because it appeals to men age 30+ particularly Boomers. Younger men buy Mojo or maybe RS; I don't see a lot of the others go out (we carry Magnet, Skyscraper, Paste, No Depression, etc.) . Presumably the kids get their info on the web. That said, Spin ought to figure out who their demographic is. RS hits theirs spot on, I think (excluding GloNo types who, in my store, generally buy the niche magazines and Mojo). Is Spin mainstream or hip or indie?

I didn't include women because at my store, they don't buy music magazines for themselves. I know because I ask:"Is this for you?" "Oh, no (laughs) its for my (insert male relation here)."

As the exception to the rule, I subscribe to Magnet. This year (the book-writing year) I'll likely buy copies of others. I was all over spin when it first came out, but not so much now.

So, good luck with the gig and in the city. Rest assured, I'm very envious :)

Return to “Rants and Raves”