New Wilco - Sky Blues Sky

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:17 pm

grounded5am wrote:odd that no one has yet mentioned r.e.m. or the cure. r.e.m. espeically. they had an amazing run starting with chronic town and ending with automatic. or new adventures in hi-fi depending on how you view things.

R.E.M.'s run ended with the shitty Green, plus Fables was very sporadic.
I only count three in a row from The Cure, The Head On The Door, Kiss Me, and Disintegration. The albums that bookended those (The Top and Wish) are typically regarded as low points.
I actually liked Wish, but I think I'm in the minority.

eriknorm
GLONO Board Playa

Postby eriknorm » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:39 pm

Springsteen:
1) Greetings from Asbury Park
2) The Wild the Innocent
3) Born to Run
4) Darkness on the Edge of Town
5) The River
6) Nebraska

...then, you could give him Born in the USA. It's been played to death, but hey, there were great songs on there.

Then you'd definitely have to give him Tunnel of Love. That's eight beauties in a row.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:05 pm

worpswede wrote:R.E.M.'s run ended with the shitty Green, plus Fables was very sporadic.

I actually liked Green (although like you, I may be in the minority here), but Out of Time was a bit of a clunker. It had some really good songs on it, some of my favorites from their catalog actually, but "Radio Song" and "Shiny Happy People" destroy it.

What about Pavement?
1. Slanted & Enchanted
2. Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
3. Wowee Zowee
4. Brighten the Corners
5. Terror Twilight
...and then they died. Some might not like some of those, and I can see a decent argument to be made that Terror Twilight barely sounded like a Pavement album, but I still liked it. But to have your whole catalog be that decent isn't such a bad accomplishment.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:37 pm

LionIndex wrote:I actually liked Green (although like you, I may be in the minority here), but Out of Time was a bit of a clunker.

Agreed. Out Of Time was worse.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:37 am

Barabajagal wrote:
Not quite ten years, unless you count Pablo Honey, which is a pretty bad record. I'm not that big a Bends fan but people with good taste seem to be, so it should count. If their next record is good, they'd make the list.

Pablo Honey was released in 1993, Hail to the Thief was released in 2004, so that's 11 years by my count. And I absolutely count Pablo Honey, that was a criminally underrated album. And continues to be, apparently. "Thinking About You" and "I Can't" are two of their greatest songs. Even "Creep" isn't bad, we are all just a little desensitized after of being subjected to it by every lousy bar band with wah pedals and backwards baseball caps.

And if this list was Previously Great Bands who Have Released Consistently Mediocre Albums For the Last 10 Years, then yeah, the Cure would definitely be on the list.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:45 am

steve-o wrote:Pablo Honey was released in 1993, Hail to the Thief was released in 2004, so that's 11 years by my count.

So you're counting both Kid A and Amnesiac as great albums? When's the last time you listened to either of them?

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:08 am

steve-o wrote:
Pablo Honey was released in 1993, Hail to the Thief was released in 2004, so that's 11 years by my count.

actually hail to the thief was released in june of 03.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:09 am

Jake wrote:So you're counting both Kid A and Amnesiac as great albums? When's the last time you listened to either of them?

I think they're both great albums and listen to them regularly still.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:12 am

Jake wrote:So you're counting both Kid A and Amnesiac as great albums? When's the last time you listened to either of them?

Yeah, I am. I listen to Amnesiac quite a bit actually, probably last time I sat down and listened to the whole thing was about six months ago. There are some really great songs on there.

And wait a minute, Jake, are you even a Radiohead fan to begin with? I seem to remember you saying you really are kind of ambivalent about them. To each his own really, but if that's the case, there's no way I'm going to be able to defend Kid A to you. While I do love the album, it admittedly is pretty good ammunition for people that accuse Radiohead of being trite, pretentious and boring.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:25 am

Tom4 wrote:
I think they're both great albums and listen to them regularly still.

same here except that i don't listen to them as often as i should. but i do love them. that reminds me that i need to put them on the zune so i can start listening to them and radiohead again. i only currently have hail to the thief on there. i think radiohead are great and i too think pablo honey is underrated.

Return to “Rants and Raves”