New Wilco - Sky Blues Sky

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Beluga

Postby Beluga » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:08 pm

Jake wrote:And came back with all different dudes in the band...

And are now playing calypso music to Jehovah's Witnesses and doing the do-see-do around the wood panelled Masonic dungeons of Elkhart, Ind.

The various mates in this psycho-tropical hellcruise answer to "Cap'n FarRAAAARRR..."

Tweedy Street Team, y'all!
The "Tweeties"

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:45 pm

trainwreck2 wrote:why has there been no mention that there is a new Son Volt today? As big as Wilco has gotten, Son Volts albums have gotten more play and are more consistently good although less "innovative" and wanky (and I am a big fan of both)

The new Son Volt record the Search is wonderful. Plenty different from Farrar's other albums. I have heard the new Wilco and it really put me to sleep.

Tim
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Tim » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:25 pm

gdavis5446 wrote:
The new Son Volt record the Search is wonderful. Plenty different from Farrar's other albums. I have heard the new Wilco and it really put me to sleep.

They are streaming some of it on their website and it sounds pretty good. You're right, its a bit different than their usual sound. I love that first song on the stream with the horns, 'The Picture.' Really good stuff.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:10 am

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:13 pm

Funny, I was just listening to a live download this morning ("At the Pines"...got it last year, not sure where) that has 3 songs from the new album. I had the same reaction as many...pleasant, but nothing extraordinary. Since I got over my expectations of every hearing another YHF (in fact, I don't think I'd want one) I've been fine with Tweedy's folky narcissism.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:50 am

And now a free, legit mp3 from the band.

michaelvincent
GLONO Board Playa

Postby michaelvincent » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 am

The whole album is floating around the 'net as well. I've heard it. I definitely like it a whole lot more than 'A Ghost Is Born', but definitely not as much as YHF. It reminds me more of who the AGIB material from the live album, which I love (figure that one out).

And Nels Cline's playing makes my naughty bits tingle. It's sort of like having Jay Bennett back but the playing is tasteful*, and he doesn't make Jeff Tweedy want to throw up.

* I'm referring mostly to live Bennett-era Wilco, where he couldn't seem to ever stop soloing.

Adam2

Postby Adam2 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:15 pm

yeah, that noisy, tweedly soloing at the end of Side With The Seeds really serves the song so well...

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:39 pm

I just got Sky Blue Sky. I've only given it one listen, but it sounds very good. I like A Gost is Born a lot, and I have to say it sounds better than that. I can't fully assess it yet, but I can tell that this is gonna be in the rotation for a while.

Return to “Rants and Raves”