Sales

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Sales

Postby Jake » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:07 pm

Lefsetz: Sales-Week Ending-3/11/07

2. Arcade Fire "Neon Bible"

Sales this week: 91,800
Debut

Actually, I thought the total would be more. What with the number they shipped and the hype.

As for the hype…

Back in the sixties, when music was like video games in the nineties, racking up dough off the radar screen, you couldn’t get mainstream publicity. Ergo the axiom, "All publicity is good publicity".

I ask you, is that still true?

Why don’t we question Britney Spears. Do you think the pictures of her beaver and bald head enhanced her album sales potential?

No, in the era of cable TV/Web, it’s EASY to get publicity, but the more publicity you get, the shorter your career.

Call it the Pearl Jam paradigm. After "Ten", the band decided to do no more videos, no hype. Sure, their record sales trailed off, but FIFTEEN YEARS LATER they can still sell out arenas. Do you want to still be able to work as a musician and not have a day job fifteen years on? Then I’d suggest you watch your publicity. The more ubiquitous you are, the shorter your career.

As for Arcade Fire… There are much worse offenders.

But as Pearl Jam proved, fuck the casual fan. It’s the HARD CORE you’re interested in.

Of course, at first it’s hard to get anybody to pay attention, but once you’ve got traction, pull back on the reins!

[...]

81. Son Volt "Search"

Sales this week: 10,254

You know I saw Jay Farrar at this Gram Parsons tribute show a couple of years back and I was stunned how good he was.

Then again, he wasn’t singing his own material.

I guess Jeff Tweedy had all the talent. At least the audience thinks so.

[...]

117. Albert Hammond, Jr. "Yours To Keep"

Sales this week: 7,054
Debut

No, these albums are the LABEL’S to keep. When the retailers return them.

This is what overhype delivers. No rock band got as much ink as the Strokes. Now this guy puts out an album and NO ONE CARES!

136. Taylor Hicks

Sales this week: 5,933
Cume: 653,452

The most interesting scuttlebutt is this album isn’t hitting, the track isn’t crossing over to Top Forty, because the label is teaching Taylor Hicks A LESSON! He didn’t do what they wanted him to do.

If you’re doing what THEY want you to do, you might as well be making studio movies. Collaborative efforts that don’t stick.

You only get one chance, do it YOUR way. At least you’ll be able to sleep at night.

No one knows as much about your music, your image, where you’re coming from, as you. To thine own’s self be true.

Assuming you’ve got some talent, assuming you’ve got something to say.

Does Taylor Hicks qualify? Well, in his own mind. I applaud him for that. Hell, he’s gotten MORE than his fifteen minutes!

Wow. Son Volt outsold the dude from the Strokes.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Re: Sales

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:14 pm

Jake wrote:[
2. Arcade Fire "Neon Bible"

Just checked out Arcade Fire on myspace.
Their music makes me want to purchase two charcoal grills.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:19 pm

I used to find this character a little too abrasive, but I've begun to look forward to his sales rants. He hits it spot on with that Pearl Jam shit. Plus, Eddie Vedder would kick Win Butler's ass, but won't, because he's better than that.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Call it the Pearl Jam paradigm. After "Ten", the band decided to do no more videos, no hype. Sure, their record sales trailed off, but FIFTEEN YEARS LATER they can still sell out arenas. Do you want to still be able to work as a musician and not have a day job fifteen years on? Then I’d suggest you watch your publicity. The more ubiquitous you are, the shorter your career.

As for Arcade Fire… There are much worse offenders.

But as Pearl Jam proved, fuck the casual fan. It’s the HARD CORE you’re interested in.

Excellent point. And has mentioned in the Hammond post, the Strokes are Nowheresville now while Pearl Jam continues to move along one their own terms and at their own pace. I am not big on their music but I can't knock their ethics.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:04 pm

Tom4 wrote: Plus, Eddie Vedder would kick Win Butler's ass,

Butler's such a pussy. He can't even smash an acoustic guitar.

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:08 pm

i've never been able to get into the strokes, but i actually kinda like what i've heard of the albert hammond jr. record.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:18 pm

i have too. i was able to hear clips of all the songs off of it at f.y.e and i am probably going to have to get this when money becomes more fluent. as it is now i've had to cut back on my spending. way back.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:42 pm

worpswede wrote:Butler's such a pussy. He can't even smash an acoustic guitar.

Yeah but he's big and kooky like that Of Mice and Men guy. Vedder has to avoid the green on St. Paddy's or he'll be mistaken for a grungy leprechaun.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:10 pm

thinsafetypin wrote:i've never been able to get into the strokes, but i actually kinda like what i've heard of the albert hammond jr. record.

i really dig this record. it doesn't have that bowl-you-over effect of the best Strokes material, but on the other hand it has a certain charm to it that the Strokes lack.

To me it strikes a tone similar to that of the departure of James Iha's solo album from the Pumpkins -- although not quite as drastic.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:38 pm

n8 wrote:
To me it strikes a tone similar to that of the departure of James Iha's solo album from the Pumpkins -- although not quite as drastic.

James Iha has a solo album?

I suggest Iha and D'arcy partner up with Scott Stapp, Wes Borland and a drum machine.

They can call themselves "Felt Six-Shooter."

They'll be destined for stardom!

Return to “Rants and Raves”