Neon Bible -- Be My #2

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Baltimucho
GLONO Board Pimp

Neon Bible -- Be My #2

Postby Baltimucho » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:19 am

Wow

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/41729/Arcade_Fires_Neon_Bible_Debuts_at_2#41729

The Arcade Fire's second album, Neon Bible, claimed the No. 2 spot on the U.S. Billboard 200 charts this week, stomping all over new LPs from Daughtry, Relient K and Robin Thicke. According to Billboard, the album sold 92,000 copies this week; only Notorious B.I.G.'s Greatest Hits sold more. That album, which was released ten years after the rapper's death, sold 99,000 copies. This position is miles ahead of Funeral's chart ranking, which peaked at #131.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:15 pm

I still think it's half rubbish. But good for them, I'll always love Funeral, and, my personal feelings aside, Neon Bible is far better than any of the other shit that came close to it.

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:46 am

This seems like it's going to be one of those divisive CDs. Super-hipsters might be obliged to hate it, because they were on Funeral from the get-go, don't you know (and I'm not trying to call you out, Tom4, or anyone else on here).

I think it's fonking brillant, and I like it better each time I listen to it.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:15 pm

Dawg wrote:This seems like it's going to be one of those divisive CDs. Super-hipsters might be obliged to hate it, because they were on Funeral from the get-go, don't you know (and I'm not trying to call you out, Tom4, or anyone else on here).

I think it's fonking brillant, and I like it better each time I listen to it.

Yeah, no offense taken. It should be noted I don't hate it. I like a few songs -- "Intervention," "Windowsill," "The Well & The Lighthouse," "Keep the Car Running," "No Cars Go," "My Body is a Cage" -- but the rest I find sort of boring. If another band, say, My Chemical Romance, put it out I'd be hailing it as great. But I expected more from Da Fire.

I'm glad it's selling well, though. I don't begrudge the band and I still favor them over a lot of other groups. I still have hope for album #3.

n8
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby n8 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:07 pm

Tom4 wrote:
Yeah, no offense taken. It should be noted I don't hate it. I like a few songs -- "Intervention," "Windowsill," "The Well & The Lighthouse," "Keep the Car Running," "No Cars Go," "My Body is a Cage" -- but the rest I find sort of boring. If another band, say, My Chemical Romance, put it out I'd be hailing it as great. But I expected more from Da Fire.

I'm glad it's selling well, though. I don't begrudge the band and I still favor them over a lot of other groups. I still have hope for album #3.

Tom, I agree with you (and think we have similar listening aesthetics).
About half of the material of this album just doesn't move you the way Funeral does from start to finish. Sure, it may have some of that dark, Waits-ian lyrical drama to it, or just drastically understated tones, but if I can't feel the music I'm not gonna fall in love with it. The tracks you name are great, especially Keep the Car Running and Intervention, but not just because they're peppy. They have a certain emotion to them that others lack, a feel that infused even the more somber tracks on Funeral (like the last track).

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:21 pm

Here's a great article in the Flagpole (Athens' alternative weekly paper) which says what I was trying to much better. Good read!

http://flagpole.com/Music/LinerNotes/2007-03-28?PHPSESSID=4bf1867e77fb65a93c4c72493d2ed257

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:55 am

As the only person on this board who doesn't own Funeral, I think I'm uniquely positioned to point out that Neon Bible kicks ass. It's the CD that finally knocked the Hold Steady out of my CD player.

Dreamin
GLONO Board Bolshevik

Postby Dreamin » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:08 pm

Dawg wrote:Here's a great article in the Flagpole (Athens' alternative weekly paper) which says what I was trying to much better. Good read!

http://flagpole.com/Music/LinerNotes/2007-03-28?PHPSESSID=4bf1867e77fb65a93c4c72493d2ed257

Great review! Thanks for the link.

This was my favourite part

And it’s not like the group is all that difficult to hate. For one thing, if the band were any more Canadian, it would be a "Kids in the Hall" sketch (we get it, you speak French and spell “favorite” with a U). Second of all, there’s band cofounder/ co-leader Régine Chassagne, the Tike to frontman/ husband Win Butler’s Spike, who onstage comes across as super-precious, the kind of person who’s always aware of the camera, even when there’s not one on her. (A recent New York Times Magazine profile confirms her Drama Club President status: “Meanwhile, Régine… will riff excitedly on an idea for a guitar solo (Let it hang between the breaths of the melody… like an - I don’t know - like an airplane… make it really fourth dimension!) and then, frustrated by her failures of metaphor, will rise onto her stockinged toes to dance the line of a lazy guitar lick that lingers behind a song’s principal melody and - body suspended, then tripping forward - catches it just at the end.”)

Ha!

Does anyone remember the "9 types of girlfriends" from Life in Hell?

Woman from Mars - "I believe this interpretive dance will explain how I feel about our relationship"
Also known as: The Babbler, Spooky Girl, Screwball, Loony, Bad News, Artistic
Advantages: Entertaining, unfathomable
Disadvantages: Will read her poetry aloud

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:26 pm

Thanks for the link...It's a good article.
For the record (and if you give a shit), I think Neon Bible is awesome and I enjoy it more than Funeral. I think it's the best thing out this year. But check in at the end of the year; both opinions might change.
No slag on Tom's review either. That's good shit too.

Return to “Rants and Raves”