New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Ad
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Ad » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:02 pm

I'm also still loving the Shins "Wincing" album. And LCD Soundsystem's "Sound of Silver" is kicking much ass on the ol' iPod.

The Go have two relatively new vinyl singles that I've ripped and have been playing a lot. All four songs are killer. I'm hoping the new album will be great.

And I'm really late to the party on this one, since it came out last year, but I simply can't stop playing the Art Brut album, "Bang, Bang Rock and Roll." Really great stuff. Very funny lyrics. They're no gag band, though. Can not wait for their next album.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:31 pm

Ad wrote:The Go have two relatively new vinyl singles that I've ripped and have been playing a lot. All four songs are killer. I'm hoping the new album will be great.

Johnny Loftus says it is: Short stack of cool - The Go's latest, its influences and you.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:59 pm

The new LCD Soundsystem is aboslutely brilliant, definitely better than the last one. Panda Bears's Person Pitch is also phenomonal, both of those will be on my top 10 come December. I've enjoyed the new Ted Leo as well, but it hardly matches up to his better work, it is enjoyable though. I like Modest Mouse's new one too. It was exactly what I expected; an album extremely similar to Good News in both quality and sound. I also finally got I'm From Barcelona's excellent pop gem Let Me Introduce My Friends. I love it, but I'm upset with myself for not getting it sooner.
Last edited by hebrew hammer on Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Holy shit, I think I still have that record player floating around in my garage.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:02 pm

hebrew hammer wrote:The new LCD Soundsystem is aboslutely brilliant, definitely better than the last one. Panda Bears's Person Pitch is also phenomonal, both of those will be on my top 10 come December. I've enjoyed the new Ted Leo as well, but it hardly matches up to his better work, it is enjoyable though. I like Modest Mouse's new one too. It was exactly what I expected; an album extremely similar to Good News in both quality and sound.

I haven't been able to really get into the LCD or Panda Bear albums. I like them, they both sound good, but I'm not hearing where all the praise comes from. Maybe they'll both click for me at some point.

And yeah, Wincing the Night Away is great. Has anyone seen the live videos on the Take Out blog?

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:05 pm

LionIndex wrote:Holy shit, I think I still have that record player floating around in my garage.

Circuit-bend that shit baby! "Camptown Races" is a killer cut, but my heartwill always belong to "Cockels and Mussels."

thinsafetypin
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby thinsafetypin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:19 pm

my kids are rocking one of those! they'll be vinyl snobs in no time.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:19 pm

It's taken me me a little while to dig the new Arcade Fire, but Neon Bible's been in my heavy rotation recently.

Apostle of Hustle's National Anthem of Nowhere also been spinning a lot (and I've seen them twice already this year, woo)....as has The Besnard Lakes are the Dark Horse by, uh, the Besnard Lakes. The latter is fantastic...I put it on to study to but end up tranced out listening to some heavy guitar line, which maybe isn't the greatest in the long run but is pretty awesome in the right now. Oh, and Friend and Foe - Menomena is a new favourite too.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:25 pm

infectiousdisease wrote:It's taken me me a little while to dig the new Arcade Fire, but Neon Bible's been in my heavy rotation recently.

Apostle of Hustle's National Anthem of Nowhere also been spinning a lot (and I've seen them twice already this year, woo)....as has The Besnard Lakes are the Dark Horse by, uh, the Besnard Lakes. The latter is fantastic...I put it on to study to but end up tranced out listening to some heavy guitar line, which maybe isn't the greatest in the long run but is pretty awesome in the right now. Oh, and Friend and Foe - Menomena is a new favourite too.

How are AoH live? I love "Justine, Reckoning" and "Chances Are." Both seem like fun songs to hear live.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:56 pm

Barabajagal wrote:Circuit-bend that shit baby! "Camptown Races" is a killer cut, but my heartwill always belong to "Cockels and Mussels."

Ever the music snob, I've always been partial to "Clair de Lune".

Return to “Rants and Raves”