New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Dawg
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby Dawg » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:43 pm

I'm thinking about buying the new Fountains of Wayne CD "Traffic and Weather". Can anyone vouch for it yet?

Oh and the new Daughtry CD is incredible too.
(I keed, I keed)

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:16 am

D. Phillips wrote:
I'll second the Fratellis. Fun stuff. Very...British.

I will sometimes play 'Flathead' 2 or 3 times in a row and I have no idea what the song is even about.

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:35 am

So you guys can listen to the Arcade Fire and not think about Eddie & the Cruisers?

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:45 am

Barabajagal wrote:So you guys can listen to the Arcade Fire and not think about Eddie & the Cruisers?

More than anything else, I think of Bruce Springsteen when I listen to it.

But besides Neon Bible, the new Sloan has been getting plenty of spins. Still trying to get into the new LCD Sounsystem, but I think it will click with me soon enough.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:51 am

Dawg wrote:I'm thinking about buying the new Fountains of Wayne CD "Traffic and Weather". Can anyone vouch for it yet?

Oh and the new Daughtry CD is incredible too.
(I keed, I keed)

yeah. it's on my list of cd's right now that i'm digging. it's not near as good as the last one, but it does have a lot of winning moments. i recommend it. others that i have been digging:

kings of leon - because of the times (this one is in my top 5)

patty griffin - children running running through

it's been well over two months since i got this and i am still digging it. it's on the zune and gets played just about every day. especially the song i don't ever give up. patty griffin is one of the best talents to come out of the 90's. this may be my favorite so far this year.

lara veirs - saltbreakers
jonatha brooke - careful what you wish for
the bird and the bee - the bird and the bee
modest mouse - we were dead before the ship even sank (this is also in my top 3 and much better than their last one)
barenaked ladies - barenaked ladies are men

the innocence mission - we walked in song

it's a very slow and soft record, but i absolutely love it. i think it's their best since umbrella. it's definitely in my top 3.

i also want to echo love for the new shins. that is a really good record.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:26 pm

Tom4 wrote:
I haven't been able to really get into the LCD or Panda Bear albums. I like them, they both sound good, but I'm not hearing where all the praise comes from. Maybe they'll both click for me at some point.

And yeah, Wincing the Night Away is great. Has anyone seen the live videos on the Take Out blog?

If you liked the last LCD Soundsystem, I fully expect the new one to click with you, because i think it' a similar album, but more refined; Murphy's beats are just slick and catchy, and his lyrics are still packed with all the smarminess of the last album. It really is fantastic, and I think anyone who doesn't like it needs to keep listening because they probably will eventually.

DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

Grinderman

Postby DavidMac » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:40 pm

best purchase so far this year. Raw- Nick Cave playing guitar for the first time - as always the quality you would expect from a Nick project.
Runnerup would be Arcade Fire- trimmed some of the excesses of their debut when they were flirted with MeatLoaf stylings on a couple songs.
Disappointment- Shins basically took away everything that made Chutes Too Narrow a classic- the space between notes- smart writing- diverse sound on the cuts and delivered a homogenous lump of dirge with only the Phantom Limb as a song with some swing to it.
Next Listen will be Ted Leo- a purchase partially because the guy seems so cool- but I do have a lot of trepidation about the quality since I wasnt crazy about his last release.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:15 am

there's another one that i have been digging. it's rufus wainwright's release the stars. this is arguably his best since poses. it's really growing on me.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:51 am

UPDATE: The new Arctic Monkeys is going into immediate heavy rotation. Good stuff, Maynard.

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Tom4 wrote:How are AoH live? I love "Justine, Reckoning" and "Chances Are." Both seem like fun songs to hear live.

AoH are a fun band live...the quality of a show, for me, is less about technical proficiency and more about how much I think the performer is enjoying it. Andrew Whiteman gets totally into it and is a joy, as is the rest of his ragtag-looking band, haha. The two songs you name are my favourite two on the album....but my favourite song I've heard them play is Fast Pony for Victor Jara. The mostly instrumental songs are definitely the highlights. If they're coming through where you are, I'd suggest checking them out.

Also, g5a....is that Rufus actually released yet? I looked for it when I was in the rekkid shop the other day and could not find it.

Return to “Rants and Raves”