New CDs that I love: 2007 Edition

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:13 pm

this weekend i was able to find some new music and have playing it almost all weekend. what i found:

wilco - sky blue sky
tori amos - american doll posse (too many songs marr what could've been her best effort yet)
bjork - volta (this is her best effort since debut. her and timberland rock together.)
spiderman 3 soundtrack

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:04 pm

grounded5am wrote:spiderman 3 soundtrack

Looks like there's some cool stuff on that one - The new YYY song, the Wolfmother tune, and the Black Mountain tune, especially. Doesn't seem to come out until tomorrow for me though.

I'm spending today listening to the new Holly Golightly album, and the new album by Mary Weiss (of the Shangri-Las) with the Reigning Sound.

Been slightly disappointed by the new Detroit Cobras, but only slightly - sure I'll get over it.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:51 pm

i found it online, by doing a google search. it's how i found all the music in my last post aside from the wilco. i also found rush's snakes and arrows through google.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon May 07, 2007 10:47 am

I've been on kind of a CD-buying freeze due to financial reasons, but the new Arctic Monkeys' record is getting a lot of play at home/work/car.

Also, I saw the Draft last Sunday, which is the remaining members of Hot Water Music, and got their album In a Million Pieces. It's decidedly less post-hardcore than HWM's stuff, and almost full-fledged power pop. Unfortunately, it's also sure to be criminally ignored.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 07, 2007 2:01 pm

grounded5am wrote:i found it online, by doing a google search. it's how i found all the music in my last post aside from the wilco. i also found rush's snakes and arrows through google.

How the fuck did you get Wilco? I pre-ordered that thing weeks ago through their website.
If you hear a door knock, G5A, it's the RIAA comin' for ya!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Mon May 07, 2007 3:25 pm

found it on a blog while searcing google. let the riaa come. i dare those fuckers to mess with me. i wouldn't hesitate in taking it all the way to the supreme court. there is no way i could pay any of their ridiculous fees.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon May 07, 2007 3:36 pm

grounded5am wrote:found it on a blog while searcing google. let the riaa come. i dare those fuckers to mess with me. i wouldn't hesitate in taking it all the way to the supreme court. there is no way i could pay any of their ridiculous fees.

Or the lawyer bills you'd pile up taking it to the Supreme Court.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 07, 2007 4:52 pm

grounded5am wrote:i dare those fuckers to mess with me.

This is a new side to G5A!
Gettin' all Mayweather on the RIAA and shit!

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Mon May 07, 2007 6:03 pm

ASHTRAY ROCK.

Seriously. The Joel Plaskett Emergency's Ashtray Rock is already on its way to being my album of the summer. If you knew anything about Joel Plaskett before...well, this album is different. And if you didn't, check him out.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Mon May 07, 2007 10:11 pm

I got the new Patrick Wolf, and it is easily the best CD to come out this year. At least top 2. I also got !!!'s Myth Takes. I never got into !!! even though I was enamoured with the name; but I think I'll go back and pick up some of their back catalog because this new one is really great.

Other good purchases:
Deerhunter-Cryptograms
The Field-From Here We Go Sublime
(This one took a cuple listens to grow on me but now I love it.)

Return to “Rants and Raves”