Why do bands still make videos?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon May 07, 2007 2:33 pm

Jake beat me to it. All the haters need to give A-Ha's Hunting High and Low another listen. It's one of the most underrated albums of the 80s.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 07, 2007 2:43 pm

steve-o wrote:All the haters need to give A-Ha's Hunting High and Low another listen. It's one of the most underrated albums of the 80s.

Is it really? I bet it's been 18 years since I've listened to it.

steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Postby steve-o » Mon May 07, 2007 2:57 pm

Jake wrote:Is it really? I bet it's been 18 years since I've listened to it.

Obviously you have to be in the mood for that sort of thing. I feel just as strongly about New Order's Power, Corruption, and Lies but I'd be lying if I said it got played more than once every 6 months.

I had Hunting High and Low on cassette, which I bought from a thrift store sometime in '96-97. The tape wore out after about 5 years, otherwise I would still be listening to it regularly. Seriously, the song "Train of Thought" is pop perfection that even ABBA couldn't touch.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon May 07, 2007 3:10 pm

I heard a Human League song over the speakers at a store in the mall the other day, and I was amazed by just how clean and bright and awesome it sounded.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OHPRtRWqWg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed>

Did they remaster this recently or something, I wonder?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 07, 2007 4:43 pm

steve-o wrote:Jake beat me to it. All the haters need to give A-Ha's Hunting High and Low another listen. It's one of the most underrated albums of the 80s.

Back in the day, whenever A-Ha came on MTV, my friends and I called them by their more appropriate name: "O-No."

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon May 07, 2007 4:47 pm

Jake wrote:I heard a Human League song over the speakers at a store in the mall the other day, and I was amazed by just how clean and bright and awesome it sounded.

Now, I will admit to absofuckinglutely loving Human League.
Fascination was a great ep. And their last chart entry "Human" (I'm thinking this was a Jam/Lewis produced thing) was pretty fucking great too.
That whole "ok, so you fucked around but so did i" thing was a good pop "gotcha" moment.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon May 07, 2007 4:47 pm

worpswede wrote:Back in the day, whenever A-Ha came on MTV, my friends and I called them by their more appropriate name: "O-No."

Wah waaaah...

infectiousdisease
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby infectiousdisease » Mon May 07, 2007 5:49 pm

Uhhh...I also love A-Ha. And I wasn't even around when they had their heyday.

ANYWAYS. I DO watch lots of videos online. Many of them bring me joy, and more often than not I'll link people to a youtube video from a band instead of giving them an mp3. My friends can hear the music that way without having to wait for a download (impatience!), and I know that some have gone to see the artists in question/bought their albums as a result of seeing a video. That's all I have to add to this discussion.

hebrew hammer
Captain Obvious

Postby hebrew hammer » Mon May 07, 2007 10:15 pm

MTV2 plays an hour of good music from 1 AM to 2 AM on Sundays. I've been staying up to watch it. LCD Soundsystem, Of Montreal, Klaxons, Shins and Grizzly Bear are all videos I've seen. I'd reccomend it to night owls in need of some good music.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue May 08, 2007 9:49 am

the klaxons are good. i think i've seen the video in question. which one are you talking about?

Return to “Rants and Raves”