Why do bands still make videos?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amy the wineaux
GLONO Board Playa

Postby amy the wineaux » Tue May 08, 2007 11:06 am

oooooH yeah just bought the Klaxons. It's my current top play!

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Tue May 08, 2007 3:57 pm

yeah. they made it to the zune for heavy rotation. i really am digging their cd.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed May 09, 2007 1:46 pm

worpswede wrote:Now, I will admit to absofuckinglutely loving Human League.
Fascination was a great ep. And their last chart entry "Human" (I'm thinking this was a Jam/Lewis produced thing) was pretty fucking great too.

They didn't get any chart action with their '95 comeback album Octopus? I know that the hi-NRG radio station I was working at that year gave lots of spins to "Tell Me When" and "One Man In My Heart".

It looks like some form of the band might even still be actively performing. Could you imagine the discussion with your special one? "What do you wanna do this weekend?" "Hey, tomorrow night the Human League are playing at Joe's!" "Nice. Who's with them, Howard Jones?" "No. Missing Persons, Altered Images, and A-fucking-HA!!!"

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed May 09, 2007 2:33 pm

How about all the jean creaming for AHA--masters of 80's video game music. "Maniac" by Michael Sembello is another video game pop rock classic. Trey and Matt used the legendary "Take On Me" keyboard jam(or a reasonable facsimile) in the "80's Teen Sex Ski Movie" episode of South Park, which was quite brilliant.
How about "Pac Man Fever" by Buckner and Garcia?
Now that was some creamy goodness.

Maarten
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby Maarten » Wed May 09, 2007 3:09 pm

it's not AHA, it's not A-fucking-HA, it's not A-Ha, it's a-ha! damnit!

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Wed May 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Maarten wrote:it's not AHA, it's not A-fucking-HA, it's not A-Ha, it's a-ha! damnit!

ah-a..it's ahll cleah...

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed May 09, 2007 5:18 pm

DJMurphy wrote:They didn't get any chart action with their '95 comeback album Octopus? I know that the hi-NRG radio station I was working at that year gave lots of spins to "Tell Me When" and "One Man In My Heart".

Was your "hi-NRG" station in the UK?
Octopus reached #6 in the UK but failed to chart here stateside.
Likewise "One Man In My Heart" (reached #13 across the pond, but didn't chart on the Hot 100 here.)
However
You are right:"Tell Me When." did manage to reach #31 in the U.S.A.
Now, Murph: Impress us with your knowledge of everything Heaven 17.
I'll bet you're hiding a copy of The Luxury Gap somewhere in your collection.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Wed May 09, 2007 9:51 pm

worpswede wrote:Was your "hi-NRG" station in the UK?

Nope, Chicago. I was Jack Murphy, the station was Energy 88.7fm (now WLUW). Although our station did deliberately play a lot of Euro dance music, so aside from the fact that our P.D. was stuck in the '80s, that might explain why I thought it was bigger than it was.

worpswede then wrote: You are right:"Tell Me When." did manage to reach #31 in the U.S.A.

HA! (not a-ha, or even a-bloody-ha).

worpswede finished when he wrote:Now, Murph: Impress us with your knowledge of everything Heaven 17. I'll bet you're hiding a copy of The Luxury Gap somewhere in your collection.

Nope, just the requisite track here and there on the stray '80s compilation CDs. I do, however, own a copy of Baltimora's sole album, and even gots me someHoward The Ducksoundtrack...

Rockchick26

Postby Rockchick26 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:38 am

Most of the bands I get into are because I've seen the video. Mtv and Vh1 still play videos,you just have to be on at the right time. Prime time is mostly reality shows,i admit,but i sleep from 10 am til 6 pm,so the hours i'm up,there's plenty of videos to be seen. And if you have enough money to upgrade to get extra channels,FUSE and IMF (international music feed) are AMAZING for playing videos. I live for FUSE,man! The "shows" on that channel are about music,too,its just the best station ever. You all should get it if you can.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:55 am

Rockchick26 wrote: get it if you can.

You should change your location to "the great state of minnesooooohhhhtah"

Return to “Rants and Raves”