Why should I care about the National?

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Why should I care about the National?

Postby Jake » Wed May 16, 2007 10:52 am

I haven't even bothered to download a song by the National. They get a lot of run from the bloggaz, which is a turn-off for me. But the one thing I know about them is that they opened up for Clap Your Hands Say Yawn and (from what I hear) blew them the fuck off the stage. Which I like.

So, indie geeks, it's up to you to convince me to give them a listen. As it is, I have plenty of music already that hasn't gotten nearly the attention it deserves. So why should I add this band to my playlist?

I await your replies...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed May 16, 2007 11:42 am

I have the new album and you won't like it. Believe me.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:57 am

Hmm. I sort of like The National. It depends on the song, really. I like the new album more than the first, definitely. But one thing I can tell you is they sound nothing like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Take a listen to "Fake Empires," the first track on the new album.

Do you not like the album, Derek? Or do you just think it's something Jake wouldn't be into?

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed May 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Tom4 wrote:Hmm. I sort of like The National. It depends on the song, really. I like the new album more than the first, definitely. But one thing I can tell you is they sound nothing like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Take a listen to "Fake Empires," the first track on the new album.

Do you not like the album, Derek? Or do you just think it's something Jake wouldn't be into?

I think it's Ok and am pretty sure Jake will hate it since he's very anti-Indie Rock right now.

Fuck CYHSY, Go spin som CSNY!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed May 16, 2007 1:30 pm

D. Phillips wrote:he's very anti-Indie Rock right now.

As a genre. I still like independent labels and artists. At least, I like the idea of them...

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Wed May 16, 2007 2:07 pm

Jake wrote:As a genre. I still like independent labels and artists. At least, I like the idea of them...

That's why I said Indie Rock, as opposed to just Indie.

Jake likes guitar solos and Little Richard-style piano only. Suggest some good jams for him.

gdavis5446
GLONO Board Playa

Postby gdavis5446 » Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Because no other band, mainstream or indierocky, has lyrics as good as they do.

Here's a few samples for you:

Karen, we should call your father, maybe it's just a phase
He'll know the trick to get a wayward soul to change his ways
It's a common fetish for a doting man
to ballerina on the coffee table cock in hand

Karen, put me in a chair, fuck me and make me a drink
I've lost direction, and I'm past my peak

I'm put together beautifully
Big wet bottle in my fist, big wet rose in my teeth
I'm perfect piece of ass
Like every Californian

I'm a birthday candle in a circle of black girls
God is on my side
Cuz I'm the child bride
I'm so sorry but the motorcade will have to go around me this time

DavidMac
GLONO Board Playa

They are

Postby DavidMac » Wed May 16, 2007 10:47 pm

fighting out for my number one spot this year. Spoon will have a chance to defend their title with their release later this year.
Its interesting the variety of bands the National are compared to Echo and the Bunnymen, Nick Cave, Tindersticks - they sound derivative but its hard to put your finger on the exact influences.
Sharp writing, dynamic sound- lots of tools in the box- The National are the Heavyweight Champ- and I hope they have a huge year.

Chris G
Dotman

Re: They are

Postby Chris G » Thu May 17, 2007 6:32 am

DavidMac wrote:fighting out for my number one spot this year. Spoon will have a chance to defend their title with their release later this year.
Its interesting the variety of bands the National are compared to Echo and the Bunnymen, Nick Cave, Tindersticks - they sound derivative but its hard to put your finger on the exact influences.
Sharp writing, dynamic sound- lots of tools in the box- The National are the Heavyweight Champ- and I hope they have a huge year.

You've almost talked me into listening to them.

Return to “Rants and Raves”