Sopranos...don't stop believin'

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Sopranos...don't stop believin'

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:49 pm

Ha ha!

I loved the ending. Everything is as it should be.

That's life, eh?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:01 pm

I honestly don't know whether or not to feel gypped, or what. I was hoping for a bit more than David Chase chose to give us.

So I've already read a theory which is definitely interesting. The reason that it went black? Tony got shot. Much of the show was in his POV, and having it go black in such a jarring place could be the abstract way to illustrate that Tony went out like that.

Then again, it just might be a way of saying that their lives go on, we just won't be privy to them. Still, the way it was chosen to end it isn't sitting with me. As in, I was hoping for more.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:14 pm

Good riddance. Cop out. Lame.

Of all the great final songs in the Sopranos history, they go out on fucking Journey? Fuck you.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:29 pm

That was such fucking bullshit. Lazy fucking weak sauce.
I'm glad that cocksucker Phil got it in such a messy way. Is it wrong of me to have laughed when that gawker started to puke?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:33 pm

worpswede wrote:That was such fucking bullshit. Lazy fucking weak sauce.
I'm glad that cocksucker Phil got it in such a messy way. Is it wrong of me to have laughed when that gawker started to puke?

Not wrong, but it takes a special kind of man to cackle right after a skull-crushing.

Now I don't feel so bad. Here I am thinking, maybe I'm not getting something here; maybe I'm wrong for getting the feeling that I've been cheated.

Nah. It just sucked.

vitas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby vitas » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:58 pm

not only was it a journey song playing... that was steve perry that went to the crapper. so, you've got steve perry laying a turd in two ways at once. not at all how i thought it would end.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:33 am

Workin' hard to get my fill
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin' anything to roll the dice
Just one more time
Some will win
Some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:33 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on

The Sopranos Take Manhattan, coming to a theatre near you, Christmas 2012.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:01 am

I don't understand why people are so PO'd. What did you want, Godfather III?

While I couldn't have guessed the actual ending, I figured it would end in some unexpected way. Chase fiddled with and against the conventions of the genre for 8 years. I didn't think there would be any type of neat and tidy wrap-up. Listen to all the interviews he's given on the subject of the show and you get an impression that he's going to do things his own way.

I like the idea that life goes on.

Indictments are coming on that old gun thing. Pauly is probably singing to the feds. AJ is still an idiot. Carm is right where she made her bed. Silvio may or may not wake-up. Junior has finally almost lost his mind. Meadow isn't quite living the way her father wanted her to....but she's doing her own thing. etc. etc. etc.

Dead or alive, each of us lives in or leaves a world where everything around us goes on and on and on and on......

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:20 am

Sugarcubes Forever wrote:I don't understand why people are so PO'd. What did you want, Godfather III?

While I couldn't have guessed the actual ending, I figured it would end in some unexpected way. Chase fiddled with and against the conventions of the genre for 8 years. I didn't think there would be any type of neat and tidy wrap-up. Listen to all the interviews he's given on the subject of the show and you get an impression that he's going to do things his own way.

I like the idea that life goes on.

Indictments are coming on that old gun thing. Pauly is probably singing to the feds. AJ is still an idiot. Carm is right where she made her bed. Silvio may or may not wake-up. Junior has finally almost lost his mind. Meadow isn't quite living the way her father wanted her to....but she's doing her own thing. etc. etc. etc.

Dead or alive, each of us lives in or leaves a world where everything around us goes on and on and on and on......

Exactly. I loved the ending, and the entire episode. I heard the Tony gets shot argument, especially in the wake of his conversation with Bobby in the first episode of the new season, talking about how when you get whacked you don't hear or see anything, it just happens.

But I think that last scene was just two or so minutes in the life of Tony. The tension in that diner scene was suffocating. That's how Tony lives every minute of his life. Even when the family is seemingly at its happiest, the other shoe looms. Tony just won a war that, to many of us, would be life-altering. To him, it's onto the next worry.

That ending, to me, was very Andy Kaufman-esque. I just imagine everyone screaming "Fuck you!" at the TV when it cut to black. Very awesome. Besides that, Chase set the season up perfectly so that either option (Tony getting shot, Tony living) at that moment works. It's up to the viewer. Call it a cop out, but the reward is in the journey, not necessarily the destination.

And Journey fucking rules.

Return to “Rants and Raves”