Sopranos...don't stop believin'

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:21 pm

D. Phillips wrote:I liked it. I liked this entire 6b season.

I liked this mini-season as much as any since season 2. It was really great. And, of course, there's no neat and tidy way to wrap it up. That's what makes writing so hard.

I see all your points and agree with most of them, re: tension, etc.

But the ending was a lazy copout. And I can't imagine any explanation/explication/excuse convincing me otherwise. I understand why Chase ended it this way. I just think he's a big pussy for doing it.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:27 pm

D. Phillips wrote: I thought the song was a great pick. What better for a middle-aged, Jersey boy who is waiting for his family at a local greasy spoon? Bon Jovi would have been painfully obvious and Springsteen would have broken some barriers of disbelief since Syl is played by a member of the E Street Band. C’mon, the subject matter is so perfect for that scene!

Check the jukebox choices before he settles on "Don't Stop Believin."
One of them was Heart's "Who Will You Run To" and I thought he was going to pick that one.
Tom's take on the tension bit of that scene was pretty observant, so hats off brother.

R. Burton
GLONO Board Playa

Postby R. Burton » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:27 pm

At first, I was stunned and a little disappointed, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense to me. For Tony and his family, things are alright, for now, maybe. They can never know for sure, and everyone they see is quite possibly out to get them, but since you can't just shoot everyone that jake-walks into your view, you might as well enjoy your dinner and hope for the best. Is that dude in the restroom gonna come out shooting? Are those freaky dudes at the jukebox gonna try something? Better keep an eye on 'em, but DON'T STOP BELIEVING!

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Jake wrote:

But the ending was a lazy copout. And I can't imagine any explanation/explication/excuse convincing me otherwise. I understand why Chase ended it this way. I just think he's a big pussy for doing it.

Well, I guess that's the end of that conversation.

Who likes Spoon???

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Tom4 wrote:
Exactly. I loved the ending, and the entire episode. I heard the Tony gets shot argument, especially in the wake of his conversation with Bobby in the first episode of the new season, talking about how when you get whacked you don't hear or see anything, it just happens.

But I think that last scene was just two or so minutes in the life of Tony. The tension in that diner scene was suffocating. That's how Tony lives every minute of his life. Even when the family is seemingly at its happiest, the other shoe looms. Tony just won a war that, to many of us, would be life-altering. To him, it's onto the next worry.

That ending, to me, was very Andy Kaufman-esque. I just imagine everyone screaming "Fuck you!" at the TV when it cut to black. Very awesome. Besides that, Chase set the season up perfectly so that either option (Tony getting shot, Tony living) at that moment works. It's up to the viewer. Call it a cop out, but the reward is in the journey, not necessarily the destination.

And Journey fucking rules.

I like your post so much that I'm plagerizing it on other boards where people are flipping-out even more than here.

:)

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 pm

D. Phillips wrote:Well, I guess that's the end of that conversation.

I'm not trying to be a dick. Just sayin'. It's hard work to write an ending. Chase chose not to.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Alright, I hate to say it, but I think my "this ending sucks" stance is softening; I'm also buying into the "This is what Tony's life is like all the time" theory.

Still not sure if I like it, though. Here's hoping that they DON'T ever decide to do Sopranos movies; name me one TV-continuation movie which rocks. Yep, me neither.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:51 pm

Jake wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick. Just sayin'. It's hard work to write an ending. Chase chose not to.

Yes, he chose not to because the show has never followed that sort of linear storyline. I'll grant you that the case COULD be made for season one with it's defined story arc, but even that did not end neatly.

I think the whole point was that there is no ending. Let's say Tony dies. His mob family then goes into all osrts of new drama as people jockey to take over. The New York family (as well as other competitors) try to take advantage of the situation. More killing, more drama. On and on and on. Tony's blood family likewise goes into dissaray with feelings of guilt as well as some betrayal (from Carm who has been warning Tony that his family was in peril if anything had happened to him).

The neat ending doesn't exist in this story. Never did. I would argue that it couldn't exist given the number of open plot lines over the past 6 seasons. And I think that was by design.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:54 pm

DJMurphy wrote:Here's hoping that they DON'T ever decide to do Sopranos movies; name me one TV-continuation movie which rocks. Yep, me neither.

I'm with you on that one. Leave this glorious 85-hour beast as it is. No addendums necessary.

By the way, Jake, I think Chase is the opposite of a pussy for making this ending, because from the reactions I've heard/read, 90% of people who saw the episode think that the ending was marred and has marred everything that came before it retroactively. Which he had to have known was going to happen -- this is the same guy who pokes fun at the portion of his audience who doesn't think there is enough violence anymore (the rubbernecking outside the Bing, horrified by the shootout and run-over cyclist yet unable to turn away until it's all over, was a hilarious nod to that group).

One of the biggest moments in fictional TV history, the thing Chase will forever be remembered for, and he did something despite probably knowing almost everybody was going to hate it. To me, that's "balls" defined.

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:04 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
Yes, he chose not to because the show has never followed that sort of linear storyline. I'll grant you that the case COULD be made for season one with it's defined story arc, but even that did not end neatly.

The whole series is one long bunch of loose ends. Look at Tony's nearly decade long relationship with his shrink. Nothing ever really came of it. The most we got at the end was a comment that therapy makes better sociopaths! No resolution....in the end Tony's blathering to AJ's therapist. He's doing the same old same old.

Return to “Rants and Raves”