Sopranos...don't stop believin'

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:34 pm

D. Phillips wrote:
How many magazines and TV shows has substantial coverage of the finale. .

People who work in the media and the internet fit the profile of a Sopranos fan more so than Joe Schmuck. The hype is increased by this bias.
Goofball sportscasters mention it to sound cool. Maybe they've seen the show but could they actually carry on an intelligent debate about specific characters?. The percentage of Americans who are actually fans of The Sopranos is much smaller than those who watch the most popular network shows each week.
At one time you heard a lot about Sex and the City in the media and the internet. Women seemed to think dropping the name of the show gave them instant "hipification." Then in the same week I saw two different sets of statistics that put it in perspective for me...

1) Whoopi Goldberg's new network sitcom canceled after averaging only 5 million viewers.
2) Sex in the City big cable hit averaging 5 milion viewers weekly.

The Sopranos was everywhere the week leading up to the finale.
But how many Americans have seen most of the episodes like us?
Last edited by Sven Killer Robot Spacema on Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:35 pm

worpswede wrote:You're goddamn right...Naked love scenes with Meadow.
There's a big payoff!

now THAT I can support.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:58 pm

worpswede wrote:You're goddamn right...Naked love scenes with Meadow.
There's a big payoff!

Definitely something I can get behind!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:31 pm

Tom4 wrote:Right. By that logic, Phil getting capped is the payoff of Season 6B. After all, the entire season focused on the increasing tensions between NY/NJ.

I guess, that's true. So the final episode would've made a fine season finale. It followed the same exact formula they fell into after the first season.

But this was the series finale, so in addition to dealing with this season's formula (i.e., killing Phil), they needed to go bigger and deal address some of the major issues of the series.

What overall series stuff got addressed this season? Melfi dumping Tony is the only thing I can think of. And that was handled totally gracelessly by the writers.

I dunno, it just seemed like it could've been any season finale. And people seem okay with that because...it shows what Tony's life is like? I don't need a every tension trick in the filmmaker's toolbox (i.e., Odessa Steps sequence) to make me understand that Tony's life is anxious. I got that pretty clearly after watching the show for ten minutes. Not exactly a subtle subtext -- it's kind of right out there in the open.

So is that the point? That Tony's life is tense?

Sugarcubes Forever
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sugarcubes Forever » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:38 pm

Jake wrote:I guess, that's true. So the final episode would've made a fine season finale. It followed the same exact formula they fell into after the first season.

But this was the series finale, so in addition to dealing with this season's formula (i.e., killing Phil), they needed to go bigger and deal address some of the major issues of the series.

What overall series stuff got addressed this season? Melfi dumping Tony is the only thing I can think of. And that was handled totally gracelessly by the writers.

I dunno, it just seemed like it could've been any season finale. And people seem okay with that because...it shows what Tony's life is like? I don't need a every tension trick in the filmmaker's toolbox (i.e., Odessa Steps sequence) to make me understand that Tony's life is anxious. I got that pretty clearly after watching the show for ten minutes. Not exactly a subtle subtext -- it's kind of right out there in the open.

Jake, at least in this thread, you're a grumpier old man than I.

Now, go kiss your kid gonight and go watch Big Love!

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:43 pm

Jake wrote:So is that the point? That Tony's life is tense?

I hear what you're saying, but I think the point is that it doesn't really matter what happens to Tony. He either dies like Phil Leotardo, he rots away in prison like Johnny Sac, or he lives under constant pressure and the stress/family history of mental illness (the "Soprano Curse" Carm spoke of earlier this year) turns him into Uncle Junior.

Tony loses. No matter what.

EDIT: And remember, Tony's relationship with Melfi has always been the center that the rest of the show revolves around. It's when the story of Tony Soprano became THE Sopranos. Without that first trip to therapy, we don't have a show. So the tying up of that storyline really did tie up the overall theme of the show. And since that theme has been that no one ever really changes, there's not much to do with the rest of the cast. Carmella can't leave Tony, A.J. can't stop being worthless, Meadow can't stop her hypocritical soap-boxing.
Last edited by Tom4 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:47 pm

Jake wrote:I guess, that's true. So the final episode would've made a fine season finale. It followed the same exact formula they fell into after the first season.

No, that was just the point of that one scene--the final scene.

What was wrapped up (over the course of this last half-season) is the fact that all of Tony's relationships are bullshit. All of them. Melfi is not his friend, despite what he thinks their relationship is. She dumps him as soon as she realizes she can't "cure" him. Carm is bought off again with the promise of their luxurious life, even though she regularly feins higher morality. His guys' (except maybe Sil) loyalty to him goes only as far as their safety and the size of their envelopes. If either are threatened, they turn on him.

There is no honor among thieves. Tony himeslf acknowledges that in his conversation with Hesch: "Let's face it, the guys I hang out with are murderers..."

The "I get it" moment in the dessert was Tony coming to that realization. He killed his nephew and his gambling luck turns for the better. No negative repurcussions for such a fiendish act.

The myth of Family Over All was obliterated in this show. It dispelled the gangster/Italian Family ideal. I love it.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:36 am

D. Phillips wrote:The myth of Family Over All was obliterated in this show. It dispelled the gangster/Italian Family ideal. I love it.

I think you sold me. Nice work, old chap.

I still think the ending was a bit of a cop-out. But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that it wasn't open-ended at all. Tony got wacked. "At the end, you probably don't hear anything, everything just goes black." Tony wasn't tense in the scene. Not at all. But we were. He was happily munching his onion rings, while we were shitting ourselves. That was absolutely not his perspective.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Postby D. Phillips » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:45 am

And that theory seesm to be gaining traction...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:57 am

Remix the soundtrack to the final scene! Ha.

Return to “Rants and Raves”