The Most Disappointing Albums Ever Thread

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

The Most Disappointing Albums Ever Thread

Postby worpswede » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:50 am

Be sassy, and list your most disappointing albums ever. It could be that fading grin as you hear Adventure for the first time, waiting for another "Marquee Moon" moment, or hell, another "See No Evil" or "Tour Curtain" only to realize that they never come.
Well, you know what they say: band's spend a lifetime working on that debut album and less than a year on the follow-up.
It doesn't have to be a sophomore album either; your disappointment may be in the middle of the catalog, say Daydream Nation deep, and then they follow it up with Goo.
And don't even get me started on that piece of shit NYC Ghosts & Flowers.
Bonus points will be awarded to anyone who answers Antics.
...AND...BEGIN!

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:10 am

Weezer's Green album
Donovan - Sutras (produced by Rick Rubin immediately after the first Johnny Cash collaboration)
Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Brian Wilson - Smile
Madonna - American Life

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Sven Killer Robot Spacema » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:35 am

"All Shook Down" by The Replacements. I wasn't aware of what was going on in the band or lack thereof.

"The Bottle and Fresh Horses". The Refreshments crappy follow-up to the creamy "Fizzy Fuzzy Big and Buzzy."

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby amighty » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:28 am

Liars' "Drum's Not Dead" WTF was that?

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:41 pm

No votes for Riviera "At the End of the American century"?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:30 pm

Jake wrote:Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty
Brian Wilson - Smile

I think I know what you mean about Hello Nasty, but I wasn't slackjawed at the disappointment. If anything, they just needed someone to limit them to 10-12 songs on that album.
And the choice for Brian Wilson Smile blows me away. I had the exact opposite reaction.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 pm

1. The aforementioned NYC Ghosts and Flowers. Although in a way, I could kind of see that coming after A Thousand Leaves (even though I really like some songs on ATL. I think of those albums as SY's uber artistic "beat poet" phase; that's also the period where they were putting out the SYR experimental albums. Plus, NYC came out right after they lost all their guitars and stuff, so it was tuff (titty) for them to make a guitar-based record at that point anyway. Still, I own it, and I've only listened to it once.

2. Spiritualized: Let it Come Down. Bought it, listened a couple times, gave it away.

3. REM: Reveal. Basically the bottom of a slide into crap. I actually liked Monster. Liked most of New Adventures in Hi-Fi. Up got me worried. I listened to Reveal once.

4. Trail o' Dead: Worlds Apart. When I've seen them live, even they seem to hate playing songs off this album.

5. The Warlocks: Surgery. I used to looooooooove this band. But this album seems to me to suffer from the same disease that Worlds Apart does--it sounds like a pitch for mainstream acceptance or major label goodies or something. The first time I ever saw them live was like a religious experience, but this album...meh. The only song that really sounds like "the Warlocks" to me is "Warhorses", which is a hidden track at the end of the album. Curiously, the only two songs off the album on their myspace page are that one and the title track, which makes me think they didn't enjoy the album too much either. Also, they're sadly no longer an 8-piece (or whatever--two drummers, three or four guitarists, sometimes two bassists, keyboards, tambourine, etc.) band. Much grief.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:57 pm

worpswede wrote:And the choice for Brian Wilson Smile blows me away. I had the exact opposite reaction.

After so many years of anticipation, how could it possibly not be disappointing? So many of those songs had already been released in vastly superior 1966 Beach Boys recordings (on the Good Vibrations box and the Smiley Smile twofer). Plus, I'd downloaded fan-compiled comps of Beach Boys versions of Smile, and as good as the Brian Wilson version is, his voice is nowhere near his 1966 voice, those harmonies are nowhere near as good as the Beach Boys, and the players do not have the same soul as the Wrecking Crew.

I mean, really, can you even listen to the version of "Good Vibrations" on the Brian Wilson version without wishing you were listening to the real thing?

I would have rather they pieced together what existed of original tapes (a LOT of which exists) and only recorded new stuff where necessary to tie together. Of course, that would require legal cooperation from Mike Love et al, and that would never happen. Plus, I'm sure there was the fear of it possibly sounding disjointed, but whatever.

I'm very happy that Brian Wilson is now sane and happy enough to have finished it, and that he toured on it and everything. But I was disappointed by the recording.

Appendix - Beach Boys versions of Smile songs:

# BW Presents Smile - Beach Boys
1 Our Prayer/Gee - "Our Prayer" 20/20
2 Heroes and Villians - Smiley Smile
3 Roll Plymouth Rock - "Heroes And Villains (Intro)" Good Vibrations box
4 Barnyard - (bootleg)
5 Old Master Painter/You are My Sunshine - (bootleg)
6 Cabin Essence - "Cabinessence" 20/20
7 Wonderful - Smiley Smile
8 Song For Children - "Look" (bootleg)
9 Child is Father of the Man - "Surf's Up" Surf's Up
10 Surf's Up - Surf's Up
11 I'm in Great Shape/I Wanna Be Around/Workshop
12 Vega-Tables - "Vegatables" Smiley Smile
13 On a Holiday - "Holiday" (bootleg)
14 Wind Chimes - Smiley Smile
15 Mrs. O'Leary's Cow - (bootleg)
16 In Blue Hawaii - "I Love to Say Da-Da" Good Vibrations box
17 Good Vibrations - Smiley Smile

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:52 am

LionIndex wrote:4. Trail o' Dead: Worlds Apart. When I've seen them live, even they seem to hate playing songs off this album.

Yeah, I'll second that one. Was 'Source Tags' their last great album?

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:27 am

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:
Yeah, I'll second that one. Was 'Source Tags' their last great album?

Making their grand total of great albums...2? Probably so. I heard that they almost broke up after Worlds Apart didn't do as well commercially as they thought it would. I wonder if the selloutyness is why Neil Busch left the band?

Return to “Rants and Raves”