The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

The Greatness of LCD Soundsystem's "All My Friends"

Postby Tom4 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:20 pm

http://www.slate.com/id/2170298/nav/navoa/

It is far more romantic to retreat into those gorgeous, perfect, and inaccessible moments than to confront everything those moments have wrought. This is one of the lessons of growing older—a common theme in Murphy's songs—and it's captured in the song's poignant self-confrontation: "You spend the first five years trying to get with the plan and the next five years trying to be with your friends again." It is the antipode to last year's unavoidable summer hit, Peter, Björn and John's "Young Folks," wherein all anxieties about a blissless future are stemmed by the good, clean fun of talking all night. The insistent, mechanical beat of "All My Friends"—and the implication that those friends are elsewhere, waiting—reminds us that this is impossible.

I really loved this song for the exact reasons in this piece. Though I'm not old enough to entirely associate with feelings of the song (and the Slate piece), I definitely see signs of the storm clouds ahead.

Any of you 30-somethings relate?

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:34 pm

Tom4 wrote:
Any of you 30-somethings relate?

Totally.
And I'm 40 fucking years old, thank you very much.
It was the worst birthday experience ever, and those words "I'm 40 fucking years old" haunt my daily existence. Sure, it's easy to suggest that age ain't nuthin but a number and how spinning hip records like The Sound Of Silver somehow makes you youthful, but the reality is you're old.
You feel it. Physically.
And it sucks.
For the past few years, I've had this curious urge to drop acid again. Just once, another lost weekend, to somehow get back in touch with that youthful spirit. Every single middle aged friend, including those that are childless, not married and not career-minded, finds this urge to be totally irrational.
I understand this.
It's trying to return to a period in my life that I can't realistically return too. Not only does the very notion of a 40 year old happily married father of two, tripping on LSD sound utterly irresponsible, the thought of physically recovering from such an experience sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
Which is hilarious because it was those years when it wasn't so much of an irresponsible act that provided me with the wisdom to understand that it is. If it takes me an extra day to recover from a few too many drinks, imagine how long it would take to bounce back after turning my brains into scrambled eggs.
I'd have to take vacation days for such a venture and I'd need a babysitter.
Fuck it. I'll take a nap instead.
Last edited by worpswede on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:15 pm

My sentiments exactly, Worps. I'm 40 in a month. I gave up the irresponsible ghost this year. Yeah, I want a lost weekend, but I can't. That will put me out for days. Besides, I did it once and I was a stupid 20-something. To do it now, I'd be a pathetic old lady. No more. I have bigger fish to fry than my brains.

I'm in the midst of planning my birthday party and tonight I set about to build a playlist. Ideas are welcome.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 pm

worpswede wrote:For the past few years, I've had this curious urge to drop acid again.

Do it.

It's been years and years for me, and the last time was pretty great (listened to every Funkadelic album in reverse chronological order), but I'd like to do it one more time. My dream/fantasy has always been to sit in a lawnchair in my backyard with headphones on, and have Jolie check in on me once every hour or so and bring me water and orange juice and sunscreen all day. Unfortunately, I do not have a backyard (or even a lawnchair) so this ain't happening anytime soon.

An easier, less time-extensive, exhausting alternative is mushrooms. But I haven't run across any since Jerry died. No joke. I guess I don't run in those circles anymore.

But still. Once you give up on the possibility of mind expansion, I truly believe your mind starts shrinking.

One more thing about that last time I did it: I was graduated from college as an English major, engaged to be married, working at a used car dealership detailing (i.e., washing) cars, living at home, and freaking the fuck out. I visited a friend at the University of Michigan and we spent the whole day on his futon with the speakers on either side, riding down the river of funk. If you're familiar with Funkadelic's ouevre, you know they basically turned into Parliament by the end of their career, but at the beginning they were really down-home funky ass funk. We were riding into the heart of darkness. Into the depths of Africa. And it blew my mind.

To loosen up, we were flipping through stacks of my friend's vinyl. And that's when I realized that Perry Como represents everything I hate about everything. I explained this to my friend, who of course agreed, and he chucked the album across his dorm room where it disintegrated into tiny bits against the wall. That's when we made the rule: no more throwing things faster than the speed of light.

I could go on and on about this experience, but I have a baby who needs to be put to bed...

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:44 am

As a fellow 40+ geezer, I can appreciate the sentiments. I never did acid or shrooms when I was younger because I felt my grip on reality was slight enough. Anyway, I was more into booze and pharmaceuticals.

I do wish I could smoke the occasional joint, though. Like Louis Armstrong used to do every day until he died. There's a nice, spiritual quality to smoking a little weed every day: I'd put on some good music, get a cold glass of iced tea to sip and think some thoughts for a couple of hours.

As a recovering alkie/addict it just wouldn't be smart, though. Sigh...

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:04 am

I might have had one too many glasses of wine last night when I posted. I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...

I'll have to actually listen to that "All My Friends" again. My man AMP has been telling me how awesome it is since Lollapalooza. I watched 15 seconds of the video and got bored. Are you guys suggesting that I have to listen to the lyrics in my dance music now? Jesus, what's the world coming to?

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:11 pm

Jake's idea of dropping acid and listening to funkadelic gives me a boner.

There. I said it.

grounded5am
Edie Brickell fan

Postby grounded5am » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:31 pm

i must be the most boring guy alive, as i've never dropped acid, did tina, smoked weed/dope, or any other kind of drug that wasn't prescribed for a reason. i don't even drink. the only vice i have, drug related anyway, is caffeine. and i can start to see what might resemble 40. it's closer than i'd like it to be.

stickman45
Cocksmith

Postby stickman45 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:45 pm

I would say Edie Brickell is a vice.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:07 pm

stickman45 wrote:I would say Edie Brickell is a vice.

The first step is admitting you have a problem.

Oh, snap!

Return to “Rants and Raves”