New HIVES!

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

amighty
GLONO Board Kingpin

New HIVES!

Post by amighty »

http://www.stereogum.com/archives/album ... -boom.html

I've been wondering what's been going on with these guys. After a less-than-wonderful show on HDNET, I was starting to think maybe they were done. Tyranasaurus Hives is still one of my favorite albums to accompany a workout, and this new track seems like it'll fit right in.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Post by Jake »

Have you seen the Nike ad?

<embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="340" height="280"></embed>

Other than that, I am looking forward to a new album. I hope it's good.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Jake wrote:Have you seen the Nike ad?
Jesus, that was the stupidest fucking ad I've ever seen. Way to waste the Hives, Nike.

Can't wait for the new album, tho.

D. Phillips
GLONO Team Member

Post by D. Phillips »

The Hives kicked out the best 35 minutes of live rock and roll I have seen in years...maybe ever. And so I am amped to see them on September 30 at the Metro in Chicago, but fuck all if I am paying Ticketsatan this bullshit:
Type2 FULL PRICE TICKET
Ticket PriceUS $12.00 x 2
Convenience ChargeUS $5.75 x 2
Building Facility ChargeUS $1.00 x 2

That's right, the "convenience" charge and building charge total more than half the face value of the ticket. I know it's all been said and done about Ticketmaster but I simply will not pay this. I am stopping by the Metro after work today and if I can't buy tix at the Box Office then I guess I miss this show.

Sven Killer Robot Spacema
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by Sven Killer Robot Spacema »

The Hives have Maroon Five among their top friends on myspace.
Creamy. With the arrogance of that smarmy singer and the lack of hooks in the new singles, is there a better band to use for comedy purposes?

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

Sven Killer Robot Spacema wrote:The Hives have Maroon Five among their top friends on myspace.
Creamy. With the arrogance of that smarmy singer and the lack of hooks in the new singles, is there a better band to use for comedy purposes?
Whose comedic purposes, theirs or ours? They know they're arrogant, it's part of their schtick. And that Randy Fitzsimmons stuff? Trust me, O Stankonian King, if comedy were a lady, they've already crossed that line, dated the girl, had their way with the girl, and tossed her to the curb.

Now Babyshambles, THERE'S a band with galaxies of comedic value... ;)

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

DJMurphy wrote:Now Babyshambles, THERE'S a band with galaxies of comedic value... ;)
Agreed - let a webcomic commence.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by miss carol »

D. Phillips wrote:The Hives kicked out the best 35 minutes of live rock and roll I have seen in years...maybe ever. And so I am amped to see them on September 30 at the Metro in Chicago, but fuck all if I am paying Ticketsatan this bullshit:
Type2 FULL PRICE TICKET
Ticket PriceUS $12.00 x 2
Convenience ChargeUS $5.75 x 2
Building Facility ChargeUS $1.00 x 2

That's right, the "convenience" charge and building charge total more than half the face value of the ticket. I know it's all been said and done about Ticketmaster but I simply will not pay this. I am stopping by the Metro after work today and if I can't buy tix at the Box Office then I guess I miss this show.
Yep. It's a license to print money.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by DJMurphy »

I actually saw the Hives on tour to support Veni Vidi Vicious, at the Metro. It was a kickin' concert; the music was tight, their schtick translates well live. And Howlin' Pelle Almqvist was irrepressible. Typical exchange, in that wacky Scandinavian accent of his:

Pelle: How many of you fuckers were here last time to see the Hives conquer Chicago?
Crowd: frantic cheering
Pelle: (with a shit-eating grin) BULLSHIT!! We played a place half this size and didn't sell out, now I want you all to apologize to the almighty Hives!!

That might not have been the exact quote, but it's damn close. Fun group live. They blew openers Mooney Suzuki off the stage, who were touring behind Electric Sweat and were pretty damn good themselves, back then at least.